Anti Pull Harness

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Noobs

Re: Anti Pull Harness

Post by Noobs »

Mattie I also noticed that the dog tutor book advertised on the site claims to teach the owner how to be an "alpha dog". And the training method to put an end to aggressive behavior towards dogs and humans is covered in all of 4 pages.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I didn't look at the book Noobs, recommending the collar was enough for me. My dogs are not perfect but since January I have had the electrics done, a new kitchen and conservatory, drive and patio done and my dogs have all been so well behaved even though they have been confined at times. Everyone has been amazed at how well behaved they are, they often go into houses which have only 1 dog that are a lot more trouble than my 5. I am so proud of them. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Me too, Mattie. Murphy has lots of issues, but when we have guests over, they follow my instructions of not looking at him for the first few minutes of their visit, and I keep him behind a babygate until he's settled. Then he can be out with everyone for the rest of the night and people always tell me how well-behaved he is. :D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I can think of plenty of instances where some gadgets such as headcollars or harnesses can come in very handy and make certain applications of a training methods available in situations where otherwise they would not be.

For instance, a dog who lunges hard into a collar would be better walked on a secure harness as this would reduce the potential for damage to the dogs neck. An elasticated dog lead may provide enough shock absorption to stop this dog from pulling the owner off their feet, allowing them to walk their own dog and work on loose lead walking using positive reinforcement.

I am currently using a headcollar in conjunction with a harness to prevent my Tibetan Terrier from pulling and jump up at things/people he meets on his walks. This is because pulling into a collar makes him make the most horrific noise if he barks, because the headcollar allows me to control his head and direct it away from things, and the harness means if he lunges hes secure on that and doesnt hit the end of the lead on his headcollar and hurt his neck.

This helps me because im not the most well balanced of people (i make falling over look like its my hobby!) and he is under knee height and extremely 'trip over-able'.

None of these gadgets on their own will fix a behavioural problem, but some of them used wisely and safely can aid a person in implimenting a method that WILL fix the problem.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
kerbyk

Post by kerbyk »

Can someone post some links on good products to pair together. I want to try to use the head collar paired with the harness, my dog is a jumper I dont want him to get hurt. He is awful on the leash so I need to do something. I also wanted to ask is there such thing as to old to train, my dog is four I just hope it is not to late.
Marcus8

Post by Marcus8 »

I too have been pulled down the street by my 70 lb lab. I have tried almost every harness on the shelf and literally thought it was hopeless and that i'd never be able to go for a walk with my dog without struggling. Luckily, a neighbor of mine recommended the horgan harness and I almost didn't try it because I was tried of blowing away all my money on harnesses, but she let me borrow hers for a walk down the street and I basically went home and ordered one immediately. The Horgan Harness is unbelievable, I seriously can't believe that something actually lets me have full control over my dog. Anyways, I really think the horgan harness is worth a try. I ordered mine online, you can type in horgan harness on google and it should be the first to appear. I hope this helps and good luck!
Erica

Post by Erica »

We do not support that kind of gimmick - that looks like an extremely uncomfortable and frankly, dangerous thing to use on a dog. No kind of harness will ever replace proper training.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

oh boy. ok first, the post recommending the Horgan Harness has a spammer feel to it.

However, I did look it up and right in the story about how the harness came to be is some failure to understand the problem. The inventor claims "he realized what the problem was: dogs use their back legs for power." NO, the problem is lack of training and understanding how to train.

Later in the story of how the harness came to be is a brief description of how it works "this product applies pressure to the back legs of your pet whenever you pull the leash and stops them in their tracks...literally!" Highly suspicious there is a bit more pain involved than claims would like to have you believe, particularly after watching the videos of it in action and how it's put onto the dog. Oh and the demo dog is looking pretty stressed over the experience of having the harness put on.

Everything I see/read about this harness on their site leads me to conclude that Erica is 100% correct. this harness violates the guidelines of this forum for training advice and or recommending a training aid.

I can tell you I would NEVER use this device on my dog.