Has anyone tried HOOLA

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

tasha095

Has anyone tried HOOLA

Post by tasha095 »

Hoola Hops are great...

I taught my dog to jump through them (fire one is next :lol: )

We started off with low off the floor and raised it an inch till it became a challenge.

She jumps through it, sits and recieves her treat.

Its not just challenging for the dog but for the owner too...and its great fun.
keslo66

Post by keslo66 »

o0o0o thanks for the tip. ill have to get one. my collies will love it :D

how did you encourage the dog to jump through?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

The short way is to simply use a treat to lure the dog through.

The longer wy is to start with a simple pole to jump over, teach her a command and phase out the lure so you can have it in your pocket.

Then when she has the command, start varying the items she jumps, slightly higher, slightly longer, different items... until you get a dog who will jump anything in front of it on command.

This way you can teach hula hoop jumps without needing more pairs of hands than you have, and you can even teach a dog to jump over your own arms etc, through your circled arms, without needing three hands (two to form the circle and the third one to hold out the treat)..... as the dog knows the treat follows.

Either way though....... please dont do this with dogs under 12 months, older for bigger breeds.
keslo66

Post by keslo66 »

yes they reccomend 12-18months dont they. to allow the muscles and joints to mature.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Yep, and i think its 18 months before you are allowed to compete in agility and most clubs wont take dogs younger than 12 months for agility training.