My dog runs away from my boyfriend

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Athenadog

My dog runs away from my boyfriend

Post by Athenadog »

My dog is a little fearful of my boyfriend, even though he's never done anything to her or raised his voice to her. Since we live together, sometimes I am not around and he has to take her out. Usually it just a takes a "Wanna go out" from me and she's leaping through the air. When my boyfriend asks, she usually slinks away from him and hides. She's snapped at him before so he usually just lets her be after she slinks away.

Right now boyfriend feeds her dinner, and treats throughout the day and pets her all the time to try and show her that he's good and pleasurable things come through him.

Still, I don't want him to get bit when I am not home and he's just trying to take her out! Once she is on the lead she's fine.

Is there anything else we can do so she will come to him when it's time to go outside?
Disney Paws

Post by Disney Paws »

That's good that he is showing the dog that he is good, but can you tell a bit about the dog's history? Like where you got him from, etc., because your dog may just be afraid of men. In that case, you still are doing the right thing by showing the dog your boyfriend is good an pleasurable things come from him. ;) It may just take some time, but just have your boyfriend give her treats when he comes home, feed your dog its dinner, and walk your dog. Those are some of the best ways to show your dog affection, and if your afraid of him being bit, then when he's going to take her out, have him be completely calm to reassure the dog. Have him talk in a gentle voice and use a treat to say "come". when the dog comes, make sure he doesn't move too fast, and have him give the dog a treat. When he's done putting on the lead, make sure he gives your dog lots of praise and one of your dog's favorite treats. ;) Just keep repeating this until the trust is built between your boyfriend and your dog.
Athenadog

Post by Athenadog »

Thank you. As for history, I adopted her when she was a puppy from my local shelter. She's the kind of dog that loves everyone, and goes to everyone, so I'm not sure why she has a vendetta against my boyfriend. She's wonderful with my dad, mom, brother, my boyfriend's other family. But they don't really ask her to DO anything.

I will definitely keep doing what I'm doing. Athena is not treat motivated, so maybe he can throw her tennis ball for her a couple times a day as well.

It's just when he asks her to go outside or even to come eat dinner she slinks away from him. I think he's starting to get a little hurt that she doesn't like him!