Hi, i would like some help please

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

homely66

Hi, i would like some help please

Post by homely66 »

Hi I am new here and I joined because I needed help with a problem. So hi to everyone and I hope that I will be able to help others in the future as well. I am 66 years old and have a beautiful five year old Rottie called Willow. A year ago my daughter left her relationship and move in with us. Her Beagle two years old now and called Marley had been ill treated by her partner so she left and had to fight to get custody of him, which she won easily with the history, although it was traumatic at the time. I looked after him while she went to work and he had lots of issues but we over came them all with lots of love and good kind leadership. However just out of the blue he has developed a problem that is affecting the whole family. My daughter has a room which she spends a lot of time in at night and she has Marley with her and he loves to be with her when she is home. However he has developed a fear of her room and refuses to stay with her. He doesn't want to go in the room but wants to be with her and she is now sleeping on the sofa in the lounge. If she tries to take him in her room he goes crazy, growls at her and scratches the door and howls to get out. She now has stopped taking him in there but we need to resolve it, as if she leaves him downstairs he cries because he wants to be with her. So it has the potential of keeping us all awake at night, unless she sleeps with him downstairs. Before this happened he was perfect at night. He gets plenty of exercise, two long walks across fields everyday and my daughter plays with him at nigh. He is tired and sleeps well as long as it isn't in this room. We haven't a clue what triggered it. Can anyone give us an idea of how to desensitise him. :idea: :?
JudyN

Re: Hi, i would like some help please

Post by JudyN »

Welcome to the forum - could you repost in the dog training advice section, please, where your post will get more readers?

I have a few thoughts that might help, but to avoid duplicating threads, I'll hold back till you've reposted :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009