Dog toys made of animal furs

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lucyandbella

Dog toys made of animal furs

Post by lucyandbella »

Has anyone used dog toys made out of rabbit or some other fur as a toy for their dog? Was it more exciting and motivating than a normal toy? I'm thinking something like this http://www.saltydogcanvas.com/bunnytug.aspx

I'm trying to find some better motivators for Lucy. She likes braided fleece tug toys but that's about it and when outdoors she is less toy motivated (food motivation only goes so far too, she very much is a do what I want when I want mindset, a nonbiddable personality). She also rather tug her leash in times of excitement than any other tug toy i have which is really annoying when im trying to train (or just walking her by a cat which is one of the times she has to tug her leash). i would like to teach her to tug a toy, not the leash if she needs to let some frustration out. I'm also just wanting to vary rewards so hoping to find a toy that would work for this, she worked for tugging in agility but out and about she seems uninterested or would rather tug her leash, which she would be willing to do with you for hours.

Besides her braided fleece tug the only toy I ever got her to play with was a cat toy. It was a large bird with tail feathers that chirped when it moved. It lasted quite awhile before she finally broke the noise maker. Now she will still play with it but only for a minute and then she is bored. Usually only one toss and retrieve and she is done. Normal dog squeaker toys do not impress Lucy either.
Sanna

Re: Dog toys made of animal furs

Post by Sanna »

I got a ball covered in rabbit fur for Precious (who is also not overly toy driven)- he went totally nuts for it and the idea was to play 'find it' with it. Unfortunately he loved it so much he absolutely refused to give it back, so spent 30 mins in the garden 'killing and dissecting' his prey and that was the end of that toy.. So yeah, they are awesome- we just have to do some more training :lol: :lol:

He really likes this one though, we use that instead now: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Happy-Unstuffed ... nk+dog+toy
lucyandbella

Re: Dog toys made of animal furs

Post by lucyandbella »

Thanks Sanna! I think I will try the rabbit toy...hopefully it won't be dissected right away :lol: .