First Canine Obedience Class (I need a few pointers)

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Crystal Silva

First Canine Obedience Class (I need a few pointers)

Post by Crystal Silva »

Hello, I am Crystal Silva and I am opening my first ever Obedience Class as the last portion of my Senior Project. With each applicant I've asked them "What is your dog's number one problem behavior?" and in response the first applicant said, "Over excessive barking when someone is near the door." Now I'm a little stunned with how to stop this problem. To me, I honestly wish my mother's little dog to bark when there is someone by our front door since visitors are extremely rare. The first class is on Wednesday May 1st, 2013, so I would like to have ideas before that class please. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Crystal Silva
Nebula

Re: First Canine Obedience Class (I need a few pointers)

Post by Nebula »

I, of course. know nothing about this dog. But personally what I would do is, first, find the dog's highest motivation (toys, treats or praise usually) and use it to your advantage.

Near to the door, have a treat or toy in your hand, or be ready to praise the dog, whichever the dog is willing to listen to you for. Have someone knock on or go near the door, from the outside.

Reward quiet behavior and have the dog focused on you. You may have to start with only one knock or a short time near, but gradually reward quiet behavior for longer amounts of time.

Just a note, I have not seen or trained this type of dog before but this is my best advice that I could give. Good luck!
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Hi! Welcome to the forum. First off: I'm not an expert or a professional. I agree with Nebula - find out what motivates that dog. Also, it would be helpful to know how long the behavior has been going on and what the owners have already attempted.
Crystal Silva wrote:Now I'm a little stunned with how to stop this problem.

Working with my own dog, I've found it much more helpful to focus on what I *do* want my dog to be doing. So instead of focusing on "stopping" the barking, look to "replacing" it with x y z. Depending on the dog's stress/anxiety/fear levels, that might be working at the door like Nebula suggested, or it might be creating a "safe room" for the dog with really fun things to do (stuffed kong, etc) so that the dog doesn't have to be in the situation at all.

If you head over to the Dog Training Advice section of this forum and do some searches, I'm sure you'll find posts to help you out - and if you have more questions, if you post them in the Dog Training Advice sub-forum I think more members would see your post.
Crystal Silva

Post by Crystal Silva »

I think that training Ms. Ana Hela will be easy, or so I hope, for she is Jack Russel Terrier and Blue Healer. Two very intelligent breeds. I will try out your advise and pray for the best thing possible.