Puppy Soiling Own Bed

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

tracylouise

Puppy Soiling Own Bed

Post by tracylouise »

Hi, I have an 8 week old bull terrier puppy. He is an absolute star in almost all ways but we appear to have a bit of a problem with soling his own bed! He has weed in his bed twice which was a little upsetting as it certainly appeared to be deliberate. Most worrying, though, is his definately deliberate action of pooing in his bed - he has done this four or five times - the last time was yesterday when he calmly walked into his bed (he is trained to a crate) and squatted in his bed! As I caught him in the act I vocalised my displeasure (ah - ah) and took him outside. I know this problem can be overcome but please - does anyone have any advice to help me help my puppy stop this worrying behaviour. I am based at home and so do not leave him for long periods, I am following Victoria's schedule (in her brill book) for feeding etc. I take him out very regularly although he is not keen on being outside. Also he is clean all night. Any advice would be most welcome, especially if you have been through this problem and have come out the other side with a positive outcome. Thanks. :?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

You havent had him long, and your house and garden are still new, scary placse for him.

By toiletting in his own bed, which is the one place he probably feels really secure, hes keeping himself safe (other animals might smell out a baby animal on their territory and cause him harm), and hes also reassuring himself that this IS his place, because it smells even more of him.

Wash his soiled bedding in biological washing powder, never use bleach.

Increase the number of times you TAKE (not let) him out and give high praise for toiletting outdoors. Try not to let him play around out there if he does that in preference to toiletting, however if he is worried by the great outdoors, make that a fun experience with nice treats.

If he does go in his crate, if you catch him, i wouldnt say anything at all, just take him outside.

Saying 'ah ah' is fine IF your dog is happy to go outside, but if he isnt, you risk him being worried about going in front of you, which you want him to do.

Your best ally is vigilance, keep an eye on him at all times, if you think hes going to go in his bed when you come back inside, come in.... wait a few seconds then whip him back outside again.

Good luck

Em
tracylouise

Puppy Soiling Own Bed

Post by tracylouise »

Hi Em,

thank you for your excellent advice. Sometimes you focus so much on the problem that you do not see the obvious solutions.

I am being EXTRA vigilent now and making outside a REALLY enjoyable experience and yesterday he made his first foray into the garden on his own (of course I followed him but it amounted to him exiting the house with out me carrying him or on his lead). He also did the same today. Lots of treats and praise follow all his good efforts. PLUS today he sniffed at the back door, was let out and went out to do his toiletting - I followed him and gave him lots of treats and praise but I felt on top of the world!! I am sure we will have accidents but the successin such a short time is wonderful.

I was washing his bedding in non-bio - I was working on the basis that I would do the same as I did for the family and that anything other than non-bio may cause irritation.

Thanks for your advice
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

No probs, thanks for the feedback, very often its hard to see whats going on when you are directly involved.

Well done!

Em