at the end of my tether!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Jager

at the end of my tether!

Post by Jager »

Hi everyone,

Whilst I'm new to the site, I've been following Victoria's advice both on the TV show and in her book...

I have a 1 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback called Jager who, after doing really well during the puppy stage, is now causing me and my wife a great deal of stress.

I think a number of things may have contributed to his recent changes in behaviour. We recently moved house and as a condition of the Tennant agreement the dogs (we have another dog called Charlie who is golden) have to be housed outside when we're at work etc. So, we got them a kennel and run for this. Jager was also castrated recently.

Now, on to the problems...

He is aggressive towards strangers. This was actually a problem before we moved. I'm pretty sure it's a fear thing. Case in point, he'll go mental at another dog when he's out and on a lead but is prefectly fine with other dogs and people when out and off the lead. This is our biggest worry as we are expecting our first baby at Christmas. He has snapped at people but has NOT bitten. I am desperate to resolve this problem above all others.

He chews. He chewed the knob off the cooker amongst other things.

He suffers from seperation anxiety now although this wasn't a problem in the past.

And to top it all off, he has now taken to making a mess overnight in the house! This he has never done before and was absolutely not a problem. He was house trained very quickly.

We both love Jager dearly and in so many other ways he is such a wonderful dog. I'm frustrated and disappointed in myself that he is clearly in some bother and I am desperate to sort it out as we do not want to have to let him go.

Please help!

Stu.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Hiya

Before i go giving out various ideas, it would really help if you could outline what Jager does during his day.

So, walks, how many adn what do you do on them, food, how often, what is it, how long is he on his own, where is he then, where is he when you are home, how much time do you spend when NOT on walks, playing or training or generally interacting with him......... and anything else you might think is useful.

Em