Licker

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Silv

Licker

Post by Silv »

I have an 18month old Yorkie.. She is well-behaved, and generally listens to me BUT when anybody else comes home or visitors arrive, she gets very excited and licks them - trousers, feet, whatever she can get... she cannot help herself either and will not stop so I generally have to take her out the room. If I hold her, she licks her lips and nose incessantly or anything else - furniture, carpet - whatever is in close proximity. She doesnt generally lick me and I have asked others to tell her to stop licking if it bothers them but she doesnt seem to care what anybody else says.

I know that she wants their attention, which is fine, but I dont know how to get her to stop. I have told people to turn their backs to her or ignore her, but she just licks the back of their legs! Her enthusiasm often scares people.. I tell them she would never bite, but may lick them to death :)

Any ideas are welcome.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

This is a great example of why telling a dog to 'stop' just isnt sufficient.

What you need to do here is teach her that somethign ELSE will be very rewarding to do when guests come round.

Id suggest having her sit on her bed, and guests give her a food treat IF shes on her bed - perhaps at first you will have to teach her this independantly of visitors arriving, an dthen keep her on a lead for the first few visits.

Em