WHEELCHAIR USER/ GERMAN SHEPHERD PUP JUMPING UP

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

marillion2

WHEELCHAIR USER/ GERMAN SHEPHERD PUP JUMPING UP

Post by marillion2 »

I am a full time wheelchair user with limited mobility in my hands, we have a 7 month old GS pup who insists on jumping up me when over excited resulting in him pushing me and the chair back to the nearest solid object. When I am sitting with my knees under my desk there are no problems and he comes and sits beside me, he is training well in all other areas but we would just like to sort this out. I am not agile enough to do the norm and turn around to ignore him. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Mark.
Josie

Post by Josie »

Hi, I would train an alternative behaviour, such as a sit and get that totally reliable.

Clicker training might be really good here because you can get your timing right and get control from a distance.

Might be worth getting some hands on help from a good, reward based trainer before he gets too big.

GSD's are really intelligent dogs who need lots of metal stimulation, why not train him to help you with household chores, it would be great for him and also handy for you. A good book is 'can he do the ironing' by Val Strong (I think..)

I've seen a couple of other books but can't remember them off hand, will dig out some links for you :)