barking if the door is closed

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

amzh86

barking if the door is closed

Post by amzh86 »

Baxter, who is coming up to 7months now has an issue that is driving me loopy. He has calmed down alot and no longer barks directly at me, however he willingly goes out into the back yard and plays quite happily. The problem i have is when he is outside even if he is in the middle of playing with toys or going to the toilet, as soon as he hears my door closing he runs to the back door and barks constantly until i open the door. While the door is open he will stay outside for half an hour maybe longer playing. I really want to correct this as it is quite frustrating and must be for the neighbours so i tend to open the door after around 5 minutes of constant barking,i have tried waiting for a gap but there isnt one
emmabeth

Re: barking if the door is closed

Post by emmabeth »

Why must he play outside with the door closed? I never leave my dogs to play outside with the door closed and rarely are they out there unsupervised, because I know darn well that between the five of them, they WILL find something AWFUL to do the second I am out of earshot or not looking (usually, having lengthy arguments with the dog next door!, or the deerhounds favourite hobby is digging holes, and a dog her size can dig some VERY impressive PITS!).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
amzh86

Re: barking if the door is closed

Post by amzh86 »

i am thinking longer ahead, especially winter time as when they go outside its usually breakfast time for the children and it is a diner kitchen that leads in from the back door and in winter it is going to be extremely cold with the door open while i am waiting for them to come inside in a morning they want to sniff and play around after going to the toilet. I stand in the yard while they go to the toilet to clean up after them but then come inside. As well, if im in the garden and he is inside he barks constantly even if it is 5 minutes while i am cutting my grass