Howling

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Spaniel

Howling

Post by Spaniel »

Any ideas how I can stop my 3yr old Springer from howling when he's home alone? He has a good run off the lead in the morning and another in the afternoon, lots of play and mental stimulation, I give him treats when I am about to go out so he doesn't get stressed when I leave, he has toys to play with when alone, I never leave him for more than about 5 hrs maximum, and I don't make a big fuss of him when I come back. I just don't know what to do, and he's really starting to annoy my neighbour!
Spaniel

re. howling

Post by Spaniel »

An afterthought...
I want to get another spaniel, but didn't want to get one while I had a problem with this one in case I just end up doubling my problem. However, I have spoken to some knowledgeable friends who say that howling when alone is a common spaniel thing, and another dog would certainly help. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this matter?
Bea

Post by Bea »

Tee hee, sorry, I couldn't resist

"when alone is a common spaniel thing, and another dog would certainly help"

Help with the howling?
Because this is what COULD happen. Pls. remember a new dog may just follow suit and that is something you don't want. As much as I love my hounds howling (aka The Bay Citiy Howlers!) unfortunately neighbours often don't appreciate this.

You and your dog have settled into the routines of "leaving home". Breaking routines can help introducing new ones. Introducing new routines can help get rid of old ones.
You are describing a ritual you go through before leaving your dog at home. While this is well meant I have an idea this is what triggers the dog's howling. Why not just make sure he's got and has done everything he needs (potty, food, water) and then ignore him completely for 20-30 minutes before you leave. Change your routines. If the dog gets nervous just because you pick up your keys but not his lead or if you put on your coat without calling him - practise it without the intention of going out. Put on you coat and do the ironing. Pay no attention to your dog and just leave when you're happy the dog has no further needs.

We've had springers for rehoming and I can't say they ever sang but I do know our neighbours who breed springers are welcomed home by a chorus of 7 dogs singing at them.

Bea
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
- Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar/Mark Twain
Spaniel

Post by Spaniel »

Thanks for your help, but this is exactly what I have been doing to no avail. I am fully aware of the importance of varying routines and have done this ever since I got him as a pup, and with all my previous spaniels. He is not at all stressed or nervous when I leave the house. The common concensus seems to be that he is basically a social dog who would like company - and who can blame him?!
Bea

Post by Bea »

You are saying the dog is 3 y.o; has he done this from the beginning or can you determine a starting date?

Bea
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
- Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar/Mark Twain