Pork ok?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

thistledown

Pork ok?

Post by thistledown »

My first post so hello everyone :D

What are your views on pork as part of the RAW diet? I changed from BARF to Raw a couple of months ago and I'm still introducing new meats gradually. Is pork ok? And if so anything I should bear in mind about frequency or different cuts?

danabanana

Post by danabanana »

I've not tried pork - but only been barfing about a week. There are lots of raw feeders on here who will know though I'm sure
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

Usually okay but very rich and may give some dogs the squits. Also it sours in no time flat.

Other consideration is that, unless you spring for organic free-range pork, it is one of those meats that has a lot of antibiotics given during intensive rearing. Theoretically there is sufficient withdrawal period, but cynicism has yet to let me down.

Only pork I feed is the occasional leftover from my meal, and I don't eat it often.

A piggy tail from the butcher often goes down well, or a raw ear.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I feed it, no reason not to these days but in the past it was more likely than other meats to contain encysted worms. I dont think that is the case any more.

As with introducing any totally novel food, i would introduce it gradually in case either your dogs dont like it or it causes some upset.