I *think* I want to feed raw?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dearlady

Post by dearlady »

my too youngest deerhounds beg for raw broccoli!! They love it!

I advocate raw feeding, but I still feed a dry food occasionally, more for practicality or for when I've forgotten to get the necessary food out of freezer etc :roll:

Try not to worry too much. My only concern with a young dog would be to get the mix of vits/mins right....and for that do some research, I'm certainly no expert....my puppy owners were advised to stick with the puppy food until at least 4 months before introducing raw, and then slowly integrating more raw into the equation....ahem....Em, however, started Madam on raw almost from the get-go, and I have been monitoring and so far so good!!! You can get conditioning tablets online or from some pet stores, and I know when mine were poorly as young pups, and on boiled chicken and rice, I added these to their food as I worried about the balance, and they are healthy hounds, make no mistake!

I have decided to try total raw weaning for the next litter, which is a scary prospect, but one I believe will be so much better for the dogs in the long run.

Feeding raw doesn't have to be complicated, I'm not going to go into reams about what and how much I feed mine, all dogs are different and have different maintenance needs etc.....don't be scared to ask, or pm, and find what works for you and your dog!
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

I wean all mine on raw - they take to it straight away. Keeps them busy and they love their food!

I used to include commercial food because pups would go to their new homes and then the vet or the mother-in-law or the neighbour's window-cleaner would all tell the new owner to feed dried food :roll: so I wanted the pups at least to have tried it and realised they could eat it, but now I think the pups are more important and I encourage the new owners to feed raw.