eating battle

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

robing

eating battle

Post by robing »

hi everyone. everyday the same battle! ross my eight month old border collie wont eat without a fight. i've tried everything its doesn't seem to be the fact that he dislikes it, he just isn't interested.

what can i do to persuade him?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

What are you feeding him on?

Just put the food down, after 20 minutes take it up and don't give any treats before his next meal. If he still doesn't eat, do the same thing again. Dogs won't starve themselves but it is better if he has a good quality food, the less additives the better.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

Is this recent? He might be teething.
robing

Post by robing »

its got worse over months.

we tried the meat and broc which he had know interest in at all. so he is on hills and chicken or beef which is no longer to his liking.

i'll give leaving it down a go but with two other dogs it hard leaving stuff around.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I dont think anyone meant leave it down, i think they meant leave it down for a limited time... ie when its gone, its gone.

Commonly, our dogs are never actually *that* hungry (despite what the giant liquid eyes will tell you) - so food left down is often not eaten, also dogs tend to want to save food they have excess of, its not 'normal' to them to have large resources of food and if they do they feel the need to control it.

I would seperate your dog out from the others, and give him 10 minutes or so chance to eat. Make sure the others are NOT near him so no one can be making him feel uncomfortable, and if he didnt eat it in the time allotted.. it goes away and reappears only at the next meal time.

He may well miss a few meals this way but unless he is already seriously ill (unlikely), it will not do him any harm. He will then get sufficiently hungry to start eating what he is given.

You may also be giving portions that are too large so i would half what you put down for the moment, you can always gradually increase it again if he starts loosing weight.