When Your Dog Brings a Kill to the Door

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

When Your Dog Brings a Kill to the Door

Post by Fundog »

This morning I let the girls out on the long line so they could go potty and play in the backyard. When it was time to let them inside, Dottie came to the door with something small and furry and surprisingly intact in her mouth. I had two dilemmas: 1) getting this rodent away from her before she brought it into the house 2) preventing her from attacking Annie, should Annie get to close to Dottie's "trophy."

It just so happened that Annie's lead was hung up on a chunk of ice, so she was stuck at a bit of a distance, which turned out to be helpful. I let Dottie into the back porch with her "prize," keeping her on her lead for the moment. Then I went and un-stuck Annie's lead, so she could reach the door. But then I had Annie wait outside the door, while I went to go get something as high value as I could find, to convince Dottie to let go of her prize. I ended up having to drop a handful of tasty tidbits (beef liver) on the floor, then when she dropped the rodent to eat those up, I quickly snatched up the rodent in the "mud towel" I had on the floor. Then I was able to let Dottie off her lead and in the house, then I could let Annie in without risk of a fight.

After getting a good look at the creature, I discarded it in the dumpster outside, since it was not something I was interested in cleaning and cooking. (After a google search on the internet, I was able to identify the creature as a pocket gopher. I had never seen one before!) I'm certain the gopher was freshly killed by Dottie, because it was warm and soft, and not stiff or frozen. However, as a testament to Dottie's soft mouth, the gopher did not bear any apparent injury at all, aside from a string of drool on it's wet fur. :lol:

Believe it or not, I'm rather proud of my little hunting dog. :lol: I really don't want my backyard infested by a city of gophers! :lol: And it was apparent by her posture that Dottie was rather proud of herself as well. :lol:

Anyway, the reason I posted this here in "Articles" is to help those who are new to owning a dog that hunts and actually kills things. Getting "yucky" prize away from a very proud and possessive hunter is a delicate matter, requiring very careful handling and tact. When the situation is compounded by a second dog in the mix, it can become very dangerous if not handled just right. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
maximoo

Re: When Your Dog Brings a Kill to the Door

Post by maximoo »

Very well done, Dog of fun! 8)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Another great post there, Fundog :D

I say to people that they must expect certain types of dog to catch - and so they must already have prepared in their minds what to do next. Which is why teaching a retrieve and a "give" is always useful. Oh, and being aware how hard some prey can bite if the dog retrieves it alive :shock:

Well done Dottie!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Well done Fundog, now she has made her first kill there will be more :lol:

Tommy and Dixie were funny when Tommy caught and killed a rabbit, she would give it to Dixie, Dixie couldn't get inside it so would give it back to Tommy, Tommy would open the rabbit up and give it back to Dixie. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Just got back from paying the rent. We told our landlord about the gophers, and about how they are being "taken care of." He said, "Well good! Let them dogs get 'em!" :D Hmmm.... I wonder if anyone else around these parts has any pesky varmints they need to get rid of? :idea: :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

fundog's got the bug bad :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's really addictive....and there's no cure :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS