Lickety stik

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

maximoo

Lickety stik

Post by maximoo »

Here is a new lickable treat for dogs. it was on one of those morning news shows (GMA or something)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeFNm2rgwGI

Has anyone bought/tried it before?

I am going to buy/try soon. It looks great & has hardly any calories. I'm sure Max will love it.
JudyN

Re: Lickety stik

Post by JudyN »

That looks interesting - though looking at how those dogs go at it, the 500 licks in a tube won't last that long!

I can only find it on eBay in the UK, and it's £40.84 plus £9.50 postage, so don't think I'll be trying it in a hurry though :shock: I assume you can get it for less in the US :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

That is awful expensive. An idea just came to me but am not sure if it would work.

The roll on canister seems to be very similar to a roll-on deodorant container. I wonder if one of those could be used (reused) for the same licking purpose. I am not sure if those containers can be opened & washed, but if it could then humans can put some yummy gravy or broth in it & use it the same way. Or if these lickety stik canisters can be opened & we fill it with broth or whatever.

FUNDOG are you around? You are the creative one can you think of something that would work like this lickety stick?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I've tried to get the ball out of glass deodorant bottles so I can recycle them, with no success. However, I've found instructions, so it should be possible: http://www.ehow.com/how_5934595_empty-c ... ottle.html I'd be worried about cleaning them well enough so a dog can't smell the deodorant, but on the other hand, what dog would object to a little deodorant smell if mixed in with chicken gravy or similar? :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Considering that so many people are opposed to using deodorants for themselves, due to concerns about the chemicals, I strongly would discourage the use of a recycled/repurposed deodorant tube. However...

I do have a creative alternative: Get a baby bottle, complete with ring/cap. Get a small ball to fit just inside the neck/rim of the bottle, and put the ring over it to hold it in place. Since it will not form a tight seal, there will be enough leakage for the dog to lick and get some yum yums out of the bottle.

Or you can recycle one of those frozen yogurt push ups-- the cardboard tube with the plastic disc and stick you push up and lick... This would work well for frozen broth and peanut butter, spreadable cheese, etc.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I'm pretty sure I saw pictures on the Dog Scouts site where one of the dogs received this from his secret santa. It looks like prices in the US are $6 to $10. One place that I often bargin shop has it in their discontinued items. It seems pretty pricey to me. Fundog's idea sounds like a possibility.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Fundog, I knew you'd come thru & brilliant as ever. That are great ideas!-especially the baby bottle.
You are in the wrong business girl. You gotta get some of your ideas to market!
easilyconfused

Post by easilyconfused »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roll--bottles-1 ... 214&sr=8-1 plus some chicken stock would be my cheaper alternative