Cruciate Ligament Damage and Hydro Exercise

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Re: Cruciate Ligament Damage and Hydro Exercise

Post by Shalista »

srry didnt mean to stress you :cry: :oops: my exp is with people not pets. im sure Merlin will be back to his fluffy bouncy lil self in no time
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Its ok Shalista, I would rather be overprepared than underprepared.

I am hopeful that it is not that bad (in the ACL scheme of things) since he weight bears on it normally and only skips when he jolts forward into a run or pull on the lead. Also there was zero swelling on his leg so I hope that means we caught it as soon as we possible could. His symptoms were very mild (very occasional skip and snapping back at his thigh) whereas he ran around off lead and played perfectly fine. My partner wanted to rest him up and wait and see, but I insisted on a vet trip.

Unfortunately the drawer test was positive which I think means it is definately at least a tear? I should have asked the vet more questions but Merlin was getting stressed out (the test HURT!).
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Right my house looks insane (in a bad way). Cage around the sofa, various rugs, towels, foam slabs and quilts on the hardwood floors to reduce slipping, and we now have to always sit on the floor to stop him jumping up at us.

I am holding out hope he's just stretched it, but we've already decided to ask for a referral to Willows if he doesn't improve by his next visit.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Last night he was skipping and snapping at his thigh pretty badly. This morning he hasn't skipped once, and no snapping back either. Going to not do the hydro paddling for now since I think him doing a mini zoomie (I brought him in, put him in the hall, and he spun around in circles) is making it worse overall.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Yeah he's definately feeling better today, which is both amazing and terrifying. He will not stop running and leaping around the house. We are containing him as much as possible, but he'll have these moments where everything he does needs to involve bouncing. He's not limped or snapped at his leg once, and has had three tiny short walks and some on lead garden time. I'm slowly and caustiously hoping he only stretched it, and that he'll be back to almost normal soon. I think even with stretching it can tear somewhere down the line so no sports for him, and no playing with muscley, rough Lurchers!