cats vs dogs

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

cats vs dogs

Post by Shalista »

So bax has had very negative reactions to this cat in the past. he's chased him, cornered him, and left big wet patches on the back of his neck. but hes never really spent any extended time with the cat since the cat lived upstairs with my sister.

for a variety of reasons the cat now lives downstairs with my parents and he..... gets along with my dog? they had one scuffle at the very beginning where bax chased him and got boxed soundly for his pains and now bax just follows him around occasionally sniffing at his butt while smokes strolls away. for the most part though, they ignore eachother.

Also - our family HAS another cat that been here since before bax came that bax almost completely ignores and occasionally plays with/harasses.

my question is this.

I've wanted another dog for ages and ive posted frequently about it. but ive always assumed i couldn't because bax is a solo dog kind of dog. BUT he honestly seems to like this cat and doesn't really mind it being around. i could definitly see them playing a bit (my sister said the cat and her dog played all the time) .... maybe this could be my solution to getting another pet, one that bax doesnt get jealous or object to?

there are some other things worth mentioning. still looking for an apartment and if it requires a 300$ deposit per pet HELL NO im not taking this cat. its also possible that it wont LET me take more than one pet. Also i have another month before i can move anyway where smokes and bax will continue to be in close quarters so i can observe their interactions for awhile before deciding.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Shalista

Re: cats vs dogs

Post by Shalista »

Just saying its really peaceful with all the pets right now O.o everyone has their chair where they're snoozing. it's nice.

Bax just hopped off the couch, mosied over to smokes' chair and put his paws up for a sniff. smokes just looked at him and then bax hoped down and wandered off.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It could work - but whether it would be in Bax's interests or the cat's is another matter. Does the cat go outside at the moment or is it an indoor cat? I imagine you'll be living somewhere a lot less rural than you do now so it could be a lot less suitable for a cat that goes outdoors. And cats do get attached to where they live, often trying to find their way home if the owner moves house.

My feeling is that you're better off concentrating on making your new home work for Bax and you without adding extra complications. He's complicated enough all on his own :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

yeah we've never done the whole indoor outdoor thing. its not very smart in our area, we've had to many outdoor only cats get hit by cars