Random Chatter

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

AliceGrimm

Random Chatter

Post by AliceGrimm »

Soo... we are under attack by the bots and spammers?

o.o I say we get some frying pans and fry those spammers up!!!

How come we have so many spammers now?
JudyN

Re: Random Chatter

Post by JudyN »

Until recently, Erica and I (mods with limited abilities) would list all the spammer names, post them in an area for Emmabeth to delete later, ban each spammer, and delete each spam post. Emmabeth and I had been trying to persuade admin for a long time to put some proper controls in so the spammers couldn't register and post their spam in the first place, but got limited, and then no response.

Eventually, with spam levels increasing, I'd had enough of doing a job daily that was only necessary because of a poor set-up - so I've gone on strike (and I think Erica has to). I am hoping that admin will now realise how badly all this spam reflects on Victoria and the Positively brand and that this will force them to put proper controls in.

So thank you everyone who is wading through the spam at the moment. Hang on in there, and keep your fingers crossed.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

That is a shame.. I did make a comment on one of her live feeds.. that she does have this forum.. as people tend to ask her a billion questions.. that there were awesome people here to answer all their questions.

So it really does reflect badly. I worry that perhaps the site doesn't get a lot of traffic as it might have once gotten, so people don't feel the need to up keep it. But, if it is up kept, and it is still linked to her site.. and she is constantly doing more.. and more.. I believe this site is still relevant.. and definitely needs to appear so, as this is such a great resource for everyone.

I know this is a bit of a ramble. I am in need of sleep.

Thank you for all your hard work!!! You are appreciated!!!
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

if you scroll down to see who's online you'll see we do still get a fair amount of traffic. most of them are guests though so probably people lurking and browsing
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Shalista wrote:if you scroll down to see who's online you'll see we do still get a fair amount of traffic. most of them are guests though so probably people lurking and browsing
That is true. There is a lot of information so many don't need to actually make an account. But I had tons of questions so I did. lol

I have been reporting the spammers. I hope that is okay. I dunno, this is a great site and you all are amazing.

I think it is good to have a place for people to have their questions answered. I am sure if Victoria announced it at times on her live casts on facebook or in her podcasts (I haven't heard or seen them all) traffic would be more. lol I just get afraid a site will be going down when I see all the bots and stuff. I am so thankful that it is just a case of needing things changed. I think it is great!

Overall.. I have puppy on the brain.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

AliceGrimm wrote:I have been reporting the spammers. I hope that is okay. I dunno, this is a great site and you all are amazing.
It's not a problem, but it won't actually make a difference. When Erica and I were dealing with the spam we would list all active posts so could spot it easily - and sadly, now we've (or at least I have) gone on strike in the hope that it will get dealt with properly. Let's hope something changes sooner rather than later, because this forum is SO worth saving.
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

JudyN wrote:
AliceGrimm wrote:I have been reporting the spammers. I hope that is okay. I dunno, this is a great site and you all are amazing.
It's not a problem, but it won't actually make a difference. When Erica and I were dealing with the spam we would list all active posts so could spot it easily - and sadly, now we've (or at least I have) gone on strike in the hope that it will get dealt with properly. Let's hope something changes sooner rather than later, because this forum is SO worth saving.
I hope it gets fixed. You guys are amazing.. and so many people need people to vent frustrations, get advice, get information, or have access to information. So important. Thank you for everything you guys do!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Thank you :oops:
Erica

Post by Erica »

It's been a bit of a relief being on strike, as I've got more and more responsibilities with training dogs in real life. It's the reason I haven't been on here as much overall, much less bopping spammers with the banhammer. Judy's offered the admins some very workable options to help stop spammers before they start, but as she said, we haven't heard anything back in a while.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Erica wrote:It's been a bit of a relief being on strike, as I've got more and more responsibilities with training dogs in real life. It's the reason I haven't been on here as much overall, much less bopping spammers with the banhammer. Judy's offered the admins some very workable options to help stop spammers before they start, but as she said, we haven't heard anything back in a while.
I don't blame you guys. If they aren't going to do something they should allow you the power to do it.. it is awful to leave you to use all your free time up picking up what could be fixed to not happen. I hope they respond back soon. But I completely understand the strike and the pain it is to spend valuable time deleting and banning, only to redo it again and again.

But we are very lucky to have you all <3

How is the training going?
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

HAHAHAHA one of the spam bots was for "booty pop cream" i confess i giggled way more than i should have :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I had to google that :shock: Two thoughts: first, people actually believe rubbing a cream on their bum will make it bigger? And second - if I wanted to make my bum bigger, I'd use cream - liberally spread on a doughnut or eclair, and taken orally. It's far more effective :lol:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

if I wanted to make my bum bigger, I'd use cream - liberally spread on a doughnut or eclair, and taken orally.
I laughed way way way to hard at that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

lol Sounds like an awesome way to make ones behind bigger. Add some chocolate and tacos in there, and you can gain some more inches! Get your more inches here!!

I try not to read them for that reason. lol A whole lot of, I so didn't need to know!!! :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Thank you all for cheering me up :lol: I can vouch for the helpful effects of cream ingested via cakes and in coffee!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS