Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: Vent!

Post by Nettle »

Photograph or film the fat dogs. Often it's more obvious on film than in real life. Depending on how much you like your sister, you can play along with 'Wow, I never realised they'd put on so much weight until I saw them on film....but they really ARE fat....dogs gain weight so quickly.' or else put your tin hat on and just say you can't believe she is letting them get so fat :lol:

There is a regular exchange I have with a dog walker I meet when out with mine:

"Do you think she is fat?"

"Yes"

"She only has......."

"In that case, someone else in the family is feeding her behind your back"

But this has gone on for years, and she won't make any changes.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

DS2's new passion is his quadcopter. Most lunchtimes at work he goes to a nearby field to fly it. Yesterday, a woman and her dog appeared, and the dog started chasing the quadcopter. It wouldn't leave it alone, and the battery life is limited, so he couldn't just keep it airborne till the dog left. In the end he had to fly it down the far end of the field, wait till the dog got to it, then fly it back towards him, land it and pick it up quickly before the dog got to it. What did the woman do all this time? Nothing, of course, apart from talk on her mobile phone.

It's just as well it wasn't a lurcher or greyhound or his tactic might not have worked :?

Sometimes it really annoys me that you put the effort into raising well-mannered children (he wouldn't have started flying it if the dog was already there, and when passing dogs on his bike he always slows down, covers the brakes, smiles at the owners and thanks them if they get their dog out the way) and other people just demonstrate a complete lack of courtesy :x
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:Photograph or film the fat dogs. Often it's more obvious on film than in real life.
I discovered that myself, though in reverse - I was worried Jasper was getting a bit stocky so took a profile photo so I could post it on the forum and ask for opinions. But when I looked at the photo, I could quite clearly see he was perfectly trim, with all his ribs evident. I just couldn't see it in real life :lol:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Hahaa i carefully calculated bax's weight and food amount when i switched him to raw... then i cut out 20% to put him on his diet...... he's still barely losing weight
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Post by Erica »

The countdown is on - I'm 98% certain she's leaving Friday. I will be celebrating, privately and quietly (I know where to get wonderful single-person sized cakes, though they are expensive enough to be an occasional treat rather than a staple), and spending as much time away from the house as I can until then. She sent me some nasty message that put me in a really awful mood this morning, but walking Delta and Sofi together - even though there were dozens of loud leafblowers throughout the neighborhood and lots of dodge-the-dog, as Sofi is reactive - walking them put me in a better mood and I have a few shows that are just really great at getting my mind off of things now. I might need therapy later but this works for the time being :lol:

I can sleep through the night (well, I'm back to my "sleep four hours, wake up thirsty, drink water, go back to sleep" pattern anyways) and my body is working mostly right again. Breathing is still iffy sometimes but I think that may be remnants of pneumonia + the awful heat and humidity popping out of nowhere. It's not painful or debilitating anyways. Should get a doctor's appointment at some point to be sure, but it can wait for now.

I just don't understand why she doesn't get that I don't want to interact with someone who does nothing but criticize, guilt trip, and attack me. It's a huuuge mystery to her apparently ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "I got zero support from you" gee, when literally every conversation I tried to have with you, no matter how nice I was, ended with you yelling at me...I wonder...why that could be.....it got to a point where I had to chose between "supporting" her and being able to like...exist in my own skin without crying constantly and having panic attacks whenever I heard someone walking through the house. I chose my own health. I still have what I can identify, thanks to dog training nerdness, as a negative conditioned emotional response to music played out loud, since she refuses to use headphones and is constantly playing music. My heart starts up a rapid panicked beat when someone drives past me playing music with their windows rolled down, or when I suddenly notice ambient music playing in a store. I'll work on this with chocolate once there won't be further negative experiences to undo my work.

But! She leaves soon, my nice bras and dresses (that she keeps "borrowing" even though I've forbidden her from wearing my clothes, since she didn't respect my "ask before using" rule) are over at Sofi's house, safe as can be, and I have shelter from her until then.

48 hours :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Standing by to party with you :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Lots of cyber personal size cakes and chocolate will be coming your way to make the party sweeter. ))))))))hugs((((((((( Hang in there just a little longer.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

count down begins :wink:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Is it time to start partying yet, Erica? :D
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Hopeful PARTY?
Erica

Post by Erica »

I don't know if she's left yet :lol: though I imagine she has. Stopped by the house to feed Delta his breakfast but have spent the rest of the day away. Also made my favorite dessert:
instead of buying a fancy cake, because I like this better and "ice cream" pie is good for southern summer days. Here's the recipe, though I strongly recommend replacing cool whip with coconut whipped cream. Really balances the flavors out beautifully!

Gonna feed Sofi, eat dinner, go home and hope Delta eats his dinner (he didn't eat dinner yesterday or breakfast this morning, but he had an all-you-can-eat breakfast yesterday), then come back here for delicious desserts.

I think my favorite thing about that recipe is how, no matter what stage you're at in it, it's great to taste along the way ;) I've had plenty of cookie dough and "cream" filling.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Mildly annoying update - she got the date wrong and won't be leaving til Monday.

Still, Sofi's owner is gone until at least Wednesday, so it should be alright. :P
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Well this is embarrassing, but I need to whine about it: I hurt my back the other day, rolling over in bed, of all activities. Yes, I hurt myself in bed! (Okay I'll wait while you have a laugh. I don't blame you, really). So yesterday I had made a lot of good progress toward healing and repairing the damage by taking it easy and not being very active. Even during the night changing positions was much easier! Then I guess I got too confident and made it worse again by fighting my covers a bit too vigorously. :( I just took a big dose of ibuprofen. I have lots to do today, weeding the herb garden and baking bread ( kneading by hand) being two of them.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
master2

Post by master2 »

Woke up this morning and I felt this lump in my mouth had a look and I have either a ulcer or cyst on my inside cheek all my left side is red and inflamed and I can see a yellow head and to top it all off on the same side my wisdom teeth are comthrough :( . Codine to the rescue!

Both my boys are doing good, Sherlock has a new favourite hobbie watching EastEnders :lol:

He never turns away from the TV when it's on.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I'm so mad at myself! Bax hasn't chewed anything since he was a pup but he decided to chew my favorite sweater from the program in. I yanked the sweater from underneath him and shoved him off the chair. I was so pissed!

.... and then i cooled down and remembered that he's been antsy for days and i was going to take him into the store today for some socialization so he could blow off steam and instead i played video games all day >.< poor bax paying the price for my laziness and quick temper AGAIN. :(