Choosing breeds?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: Choosing breeds?

Post by JudyN »

The reasons you gave for not wanting lurchers was that they weren't ideal for obedience training, and they were sensitive - but you have since said that Elsa has dropped the idea of advanced obedience training and that your daughters have said they will try to stop their arguments. In that case, a retired greyhound, or a less energetic lurcher - possibly an oldie - could suit you perfectly. Most will be fine with the amount of exercise you can give but will be happy to go further on occasion.

Either will most definitely be trainable - and Elsa will learn a lot by working out how to work with a dog whose thought processes are much less like a robot than many.

Greyhounds are bigger than cockerpoos, but are so laid back around the house they effectively take up a lot less room, and they don't tend to be pullers on leads so tend to be easier to walk.

Choose a good rescue and they will be extremely careful about selecting a dog that fits your requirements.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Newsomefamily

Post by Newsomefamily »

Hi JudyN

Yes your correct there working on there arguments I think it will take a while but I would wait till I can be sure they won't upset the lurcher. I love greyhounds and lurchers but am still worried about there sensitive nature. How do you think Jasper would deal with singing?

Elsa loves singing it's part of her she's always in her room singing and she's really good at it too. Would this unerve a lurcher or greyhound?

What does it mean that they have very thin skin and that even a needle will make them bleed?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I sing all the time and Jasper's fine with it - and believe me, my singing voice can strike terror into the heart of many people :lol: OH drums and used to play the saxophone when Jasper was younger - he just made sure Jasper was in the far side of the house at first till he was used to it.

Thinking about it, although we don't argue much, my son is still prone to the odd angry outburst (against the world in general, not directed at us) and I've not noticed it upset Jasper. In a way, having a sensitive hound could be good for your daughters as if they realise the dog is looking anxiously at them or whining they will know they have to tone it down, or go to the far end of the garden if they want to continue. But it's only likely to be a problem if there is an atmosphere of conflict most of the time - if generally things are calm they will recover from a minor upset. I do know I have to be careful if calling someone from the other end of the house - if I raise my voice too much Jasper thinks the world must be ending or something :lol:

By thin skin I mean literally that, really. If your dog enjoys running through bushes then a thorn or twig can easily tear it. And sometimes wounds can be difficult to heal as there's very little spare flesh to stitch securely, and more or less no fat to pad it. Think of the skin on the back of your hand rather than, say, on your thigh.

But having said that, although Jasper had plenty of scrapes, grazes and small cuts, he's only ever had one cut that needed veterinary treatment, and that was on barbed wire.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

I'm concerned that you're so caught up in your lists of requirements and wishes, that no dog is ever going to fit perfectly into, that you're making this impossible for any dog to live up to.

If you all live together, why is the exercise limited to 1hr 45 mins? Is that the maximum you personally can do? Why can't the girls each take the dog on a separate walk as well? In case you get one who happens to need more exercise than the breed standards?

I'm starting to think a good old rescue mutt would be a good first family dog for you. Our first family dog was a mongrel. Mostly black lab/whippet, but other stuff in there too, and she was wonderful. Mellow and calm and loving, but enjoyed playing and walks too. Meet some actual dogs, then see what you have to work with. You aren't going to find the perfect breed, there are pros and cons to any of them, and the individual dog will defy some expectations no matter what! At the very least, it won't hurt to meet some real dogs at a rescue and spend some time talking with staff and meeting real dogs that really need a loving family. It's more real and more important than a list of traits you like or don't want.
Newsomefamily

Post by Newsomefamily »

Hi all

It's been over a month since I was posting in here and a lot has happened since then.

We went to several rescue centres and I only found one dog I liked but I found out he is really nervous and would have been suited to more experience owners. We went to a local dog show over 3weeks ago now and both my girls wanted to show me a breed they liked as well as what they thought I would like. He was a very handsome flat coated Retrieveri learnt loads from the owner as well as going home and doing tons of research on the breed and have met loads of them in the past 2 weeks. I like to go hiking and going on long country walks and they certainly have the engery plus the girls want to go for walks with the dog as well.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice or further info on the breed and I wanted to check what I learnt was true?

1\ I learnt they are the Peter pan of the dog world.
2\ they are the most energetic of all Retrievers
3\ they are not as friendly with people compared to labs as in there not looking to get attention from every stranger like a lab is.
4\ they are not as quick to learn like labs as there a class clown and can take a bit longer to train than a lab?
5\ they die at an early age due to tumours

This is what I have learnt so far is all of it right?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yep, apart from the 'most energetic'. They certainly are energetic, but several other gundog breeds could give them a run for their money.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Newsomefamily

Post by Newsomefamily »

So would you say they are no more energetic than a Labrador?

And would you say that they are just as easy to train like a lab?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

No: as I said before, I agree with what your breeder stated apart from the 'most energetic'. Then I said they certainly are energetic but that several other gundog breeds are as or more energetic.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

#5 is not a given across the board for this breed. In general this breed certainly is more prone to cancer than some other breeds, but that doesn't mean that every one will die young from cancer. Years ago, we had a client with a flat coated retriever who died at the ripe old age (for a dog) of 14 from congestive heart failure. No cancer in sight. :wink:
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Newsomefamily

Post by Newsomefamily »

Hi all

Just a quick update. I went to see another breeder who was a breeder of the Golden Retriever but owns Flats and labs , so this was a great chance for me to compare the three Retrievers we are interested in. When we met the flat it was very obvious they were the most bouncy and had the most engery. From what I saw we decided no to the flat. She told us when adult even the lab is more mellow than the flat. She told us Flats don't really grow up that's why there so energetic. We like the lab and Goldie but she did tell us that between the two the Goldie is more calmer than the lab in general if from a food breeder.

Do you agree that in general Goldie's are more calmer than Labs? ( as this might just decide which one we get)