Ziwipeak

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Horace's Mum

Ziwipeak

Post by Horace's Mum »

Anyone heard of it? Or even better, used it?

Horus is currently on orijen, which is an excellent food but still not quite right for him. In an ideal world I would like to feed raw because I think it makes the most sense, but given that he has never shown any interest in dead things, including marrow bones (which he actively runs away from!) I would rather not run the risk of encouraging him to forage when out on walks - at the moment he can go offlead because I know he will not disappear after something dead, from which obviously I cannot recall him, and could lead to a very dangerous situation for him, or a life eternally on lead.

Ziwipeak cropped up on another website, and seems to be basically dried meat, or tinned "raw". It is not cheap, but it should be much more efficient than orijen, and I would hope that his stomach would cope better with it.

Ideas?

http://www.ziwipeak.com/nzl/home.shtml
maximoo

Re: Ziwipeak

Post by maximoo »

Looks pretty good to me. I never heard of it before but it is sold over here in the states. If I were you I'd try it.
Ever try cooking for Horus? or just adding leftovers to his bowl?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I haven't heard of it before, I find Burgess Sensitive works for my dogs, especially Joe who had a lot of allergies and Merlin, who had a very sensitive tummy. They are now getting raw meaty bones, the local Morrisons sells them, usually lamb or beef and I have found a supplier who sells the food Emmabeth gives her dogs just round the corner. If the doctors eventually sort out my breathing I will go and take a good look at it.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I haven't come across it, but going on a quick scan of the site, it's certainly worth trying. I'd like to see a list of ingredients with percentages, which may be on the site but I haven't time just now to take a detailed look through. Why not try it and see how you go - no harm done if it doesn't work out and may be just the thing if it does.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

It's just come to the UK from NZ - been tracking it for a while as I have an interest in canine nutrition. It's freeze dried raw I believe. but very very very expensive.

Sorry - cooked, not raw. That's K9 cuisine (another kiwi brand)
Last edited by runlikethewind on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Well, I can't find the price :lol: and when I checked for stockists in my county, I found one each in two neighbouring counties :roll: so I don't think I'll be trying it yet - but it certainly sounds good, and might be a useful alternative for those times when you have to feed your dogs away from home.

If anyone does try it, do let us know what you think.

Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Just for Nettle, here is an example of content from the lamb variety (dry version):

INGREDIENTS: Lamb - Meat (min. 65%), Liver, Tripe, Heart and Kidney (min. 19.5%), Chicory Inulin, Green-lipped Mussel (min. 4%), Fish Oil, Lecithin, Kelp, Vitamins and Minerals, Parsley, Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, Additives: Vit. D3 592 IU/kg, Vit. E 7.4mg/kg, Copper (copper proteinate) 9.8mg/kg. Calories 1854 KJ/100g.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Protein (min.) 33% Ash (max.) 8%
Fat (min.) 27% Fibre (max.) 1.5%
Moisture (max.) 15% Calcium 2%
Phosphorus P 1.1%

It is expensive, for Horus it would be £2.69 a day on cans(!) - don't think I'll be doing that - or about £1.70 a day on dried, buying the bigger bags. No, it's not cheap, but I'm not looking for cheap, I'm looking for something that finally will really really suit my dog, and help him maintain his joints as long as possible after the bad start they got.

Mattie, I don't feed any rice now, so burgess is out of the question. I would be quite happy not to feed any carb I think, I can add in all his usual fruit and veg, and I wouldn't have to feed the greenlipped muscle he currently gets either, so save a little there.

maximoo, Horus get cooked for quite often because there is just the two of us, so he tends to share the suitable things that I have (actually, I tend to cook things we can both eat!!). But I don't think cooking for him fulltime is feasible or suitable, and I need a dry food to put in all his food toys.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Looks good............£!:70 a day would about buy you a coffee, I think.