Raw bones question

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

Raw bones question

Post by Sarah83 »

We've just found a local butchers (well, about a 10 minute drive) and when I asked whether they sold dog bones they gave me 3 large ones for free, they look like some sort of leg bone. Now obviously I can't give Rupe all 3 in one day so firstly, I assume freezing them is okay? And how long do I defrost them for before giving them to him? Or can he be given them frozen? I'm clueless on raw bones to be honest, Shadow wouldn't eat them and this is the first time I've been able to get a decent sized one for Rupert. He's had things like chicken and turkey but that's it.
runlikethewind

Re: Raw bones question

Post by runlikethewind »

Hello!

Is it a weight bearing bone? These are colloquially known to the raw feeders as WRECKreational bones as they can crack dogs' teeth.

You can feed bones frozen but naturally, it makes them even harder so I am careful as to the bone I feed. I have also noticed my dog actually leaves hard non-weight bearing beef bones now (as I buy beef bones with meat on from the supermarket sold as soup stock)... Morrissons are great :wink:

I personally avoid all weight bearing bones from cows. If you are using it as part of raw feeding, I would just feed smaller, lighter bones. Pigs trotters are good, they make a h*ll of a noise eating them and are arguably weight bearing but apparenly they are quite soft.
Last edited by runlikethewind on Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

In summer I give mine the frozen RMB - it keeps them busy for longer, and by the time they actually get to the bone, the bone is defrosted for the most part anyway.

In winter I defrost them
- I either take them out of the freezer in the morning, and by that evening they will be defrosted
- Or I defrost them in the microwave, but then I have to let them cool down a bit, as the bone can get very hot

Sometimes in winter (on VERY cold days) I heat the defrosted RMB in the microwave, but only for a few seconds. Not so much that it's hot, just enough for it not to be that cold.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Beckyyy

Post by Beckyyy »

We freezer all our extra bones and I usually give them to our dog still frozen. If your dog is a hardcore chewer be careful that he doesn't chew off lumps of the bone and swalow them hole, my dog never has but it's just something to be aware of. I also find bones which my dog has de-marrowed are great as substite kong type toys and sometimes fill them with a spoonful of peanut butter and refreeze them! :)
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

:oops: I have no idea what type of bones these are or what animal they came from :oops: Not a question I thought to ask. I'm not too worried about him breaking teeth as he doesn't try to eat the sterilised bones we get, just whatever they're stuffed with. I gave him one of the bones tonight and he pulled all the meat and fat left on it off and got most of the marrow out of it but then the actual bone just became another toy to throw at us in the hope we'd play.

I'm in the UK and feed dry food but Rupe does love the occasional raw meat we give him. Can't feed him raw completely as if my husband gets sent away I can't leave camp to get it and can't have it delivered here. No idea where we'd get antler from :shock: Pig trotters are crap, the ones we got lasted about 5 minutes.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Slightly off the exact topic....but should dogs be given cooked beef bones? As in from a roast joint?
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

From what I've read, no. Raw only. Our last two had the big roasted knuckle bones on a regular basis with no problems though and pet shops still sell them. Not sure how dangerous they are though.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

The rule as I understand it is never cooked bones as they become brittle and can splinter. I would like to know though why the big knuckle bones are still sold in pet shops. Does anyone know why these are on sale still? Also you never know where they are from - country of origin etc
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

runlikethewind wrote:The rule as I understand it is never cooked bones as they become brittle and can splinter. I would like to know though why the big knuckle bones are still sold in pet shops. Does anyone know why these are on sale still? Also you never know where they are from - country of origin etc
I assume because people buy them and I'd guess that the number of problems is small compared to the number of dogs who are given them. As I say, mine had them on a regular basis and never had any problems with them, same with the majority of dogs I know. People don't know any better either, most people I know think feeding raw meat or bones will make a dog vicious :roll:

I'm more wary of the big rawhide chews in all honesty, twice now we've got them and they've been all crystallized and brown in the middle. Rupe had eaten most of the first one and been sick several times in the night before we noticed the chew was strange looking. The 2nd we cut open with a saw to check and it was the same. I refuse to buy them now.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

In UK, there is no safety legislation covering what is sold in pet shops. Therefore we have unsuitable toys and some unsuitable treats. The cooked bones are a big no-no.

Antler - look up the game dealers in your area. They should be able to either supply some or put you in touch with a deerstalker.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS