Sticks? yes or no

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

leslie123

Sticks? yes or no

Post by leslie123 »

We have maple and oak trees along with a lot of pine trees on our property. Sulley got hold of a still greenish oak stick and loved chewing it! It wasn't rotted, or dry and splintering and we watched him close to make sure he was spitting out the bits. He didn't want to fetch with it, just sit and chill and chew. Is this a yay or a nay? :D
Nettle

Re: Sticks? yes or no

Post by Nettle »

Dogs adore sticks, but there are risks of injury. I swap a stick with something safe. If I had a yard with too much temptation in the form of sticks, I'd not leave the dog unaccompanied there - but few sticks are better than a raw meaty bone :wink: Big rope toys, cardboard boxes and big green vegetables eg cabbages make safe chewies. Deer antler is excellent too, if you can get it.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
leslie123

Re: Sticks? yes or no

Post by leslie123 »

Thanks Nettle. Thats pretty much what I figured, but its always nice to bounce questions here. We never leave Sulley in the yard alone though that doesn't stop him from getting hold of things in a second when we turn away, as I'm sure you are well aware with puppies! :lol: We probably can get hold of deer antlers pretty easily too. Thanks for the better alternative ideas. :)