From Puppy to Dog food

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

LouiseJB

From Puppy to Dog food

Post by LouiseJB »

I am feeding our 5 month old GSD/ Collie cross on Iams dry Puppy food and feeding the amount as it says on the side of the bag - all going well.

She is now 13kg and I wonder, at what point should we swap to ordinary dry"dog" Iams instead? Does it matter?

Many thanks
Mercurykitty

Re: From Puppy to Dog food

Post by Mercurykitty »

I think most adult foods are geared toward dogs at 1 year and older.
Last edited by Mercurykitty on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I never feed my pups puppy food, a good quality of dog food does just as well if not better. I find puppy food is too high in protein which can affect the bone growth, they can grow too quickly. We see a lot more health problems in adult dogs now than we ever did, quite a lot of that is down to how they are fed.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Iams is not a good quality food. Read thru the DIET threads for lots of info on better quality foods. Some people choose puppy food some don't. Gather all the info you can & decide for your gorgeous pup. If you do stick with a puppy food, then the change over time is 1 yr (less for small breeds, more for huge breeds like great danes) GOOD LUCK!
Beckyyy

Post by Beckyyy »

maximoo wrote:Iams is not a good quality food. Read thru the DIET threads for lots of info on better quality foods. Some people choose puppy food some don't. Gather all the info you can & decide for your gorgeous pup. If you do stick with a puppy food, then the change over time is 1 yr (less for small breeds, more for huge breeds like great danes) GOOD LUCK!
I agree to look into other foods and familiarise yourself with the ingredients list of your current food. You want to avoid cereals and fillers and have a good quality meat content if possible. The 'normal' time for swap over is around 9-12 months I think, but personally, I would be happy to start to feed a good quality adult food now.

On a side note though, Great Danes definitely do not need puppy food for longer than other breeds, if anything alot less as they really don't need the extra protein puppy food contains.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Puppies don't actually need puppy food. No animal eats anything different from its adult food when growing - it just eats more of it. Puppy food is a brilliant marketing idea :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Just my 2 cents worth, without getting into an argument with the other posters. If your dog does well on Iams, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Iams. The reason for puppy foods is that puppies grow quickly, they need more calories, and calcium than an adult dog does. I just finished reading a 14 year study published by the AVMA journals (american veterinary medical assoc. here in the U.S.) that stated dogs do actually need grains in their diets, they have been domesticated so long now, that they no longer are carnivores, but omnivores. My German Shepherd, I put on adult food at a little over 1 year old. It varies, just as some people mature quicker than others. I would say any time between 1-1.5 years old is a good time to put your dog on adult food. You might like to try the large breed foods available in the Iams line, since your pet sounds like it will be a healthy size. I am a veterinary professional here in the U.S., (14+ years now) and I assure you, Iams is an very sound choice in a dog food.
Good luck
Josie
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Have you a link to that study proving that dogs need grains please Josie? I would be very interested to read it. I should take a lot of convincing of grain as a need, as I have fed dogs grain-free for so long.

josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Nettle, the site we use is a subscription site, that can't be accessed unless you are a member. I did however find this, which is a short summation of the study I refer to. Also in no way am I trying to convince anyone of anything, just letting folks know what is out there, and they do what works best for them and theres :D

Study published in AVMA journal busts canine nutrition myths
14 years of research follows 48 pairs of Labrador Retriever littermates
Release Date: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 Comments(0)
A 14-year study published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Association has managed to bust several canine nutrition myths.

Forty-eight pairs of Labrador Retriever littermates were followed. Among other things, the results suggested that a 25% restriction of food intake—or maintaining an ideal body condition throughout a dog's life—increased the median lifespan of a dog by 1.8 years and delayed the onset of chronic disease symptoms. "Knowing what to feed and how much to feed are equally important," said Mike Grant, PA, the nutritional science director for SeniorPetProducts.com "Your veterinarian is always the best way to get the correct information. They are up to date on all the new science."

Several nutrition myths were disproved during the study:

1) A raw meat diet is the only one for canines: Today's domesticated dogs are not true carnivores. They need small amounts of grains, like rice, oatmeal, pasta, vegetables and fruits to round out their dietary needs.

2) Raw eggs are an absolute no-no for dogs: Dogs are far less susceptible to Salmonella poisoning and the occasional raw or boiled egg is a good source of protein for canines.

3) Dogs should never have any dairy products: Some dogs may be lactose intolerant, but cottage cheese and yogurt are two low-lactose options that are high in calcium.

4) Fat only gives dogs empty calories: Fats are the main source of energy for dogs. Fat is also necessary for the proper absorption of vitamins A, D, E and K, especially in low-saturated forms such as omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids.

5) A dog is unable to digest grains: This is partially true, but dogs can digest starch grains that have been converted by the cooking process. Rice is a better option than wheat or corn.

6) All commercial dog foods are bad: Research has shown that the quality of commercial dog foods is more than able to meet a dog's nutritional needs.

7) A diet must be specifically tailored to a dog's age or breed: In most cases, the same diet throughout a dog's life is sufficient. However, puppies need more food than seniors and older dogs may need nutritional supplements.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

For the record, just MY OPINION, I appreciate Dr. Grant's opinion, but NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE, knows their dog like his/her owner, while I certainly advise strongly discussing diet with your pets veterinarian (sometimes a disease or condition can be greatly improved with diet) at the end of the day, a responsible dog owner knows what is best for their dog, the owners lifestyle and living conditions.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Josie, thanks for that :D and please be assured I am not challenging YOU but the research and the conclusions therefrom.

Where was the control of dogs not fed grains, thus showing they NEEDED them (surviving on a food does not prove "need")? Dogs, like us, can survive on all sorts of rubbish food.

Raw eggs are NOT a no-no - there is a risk of salmonella, and the results should have said that. Obviously raw eggs without salmonella would be risk-free.

Lactose intolerance - perfectly true, but it should have been made clear that the lactose in yoghurt and some cheese has been altered and so does not present a problem, and there is no lactose in butter.

Fats - perfectly correct. fats are essential for dogs and are dogs' main source of energy.

Unable to digest starch grains - sure they are - that's why the research admits that the grains need to be cooked. These grains that are so essential cannot be digested by dogs until humans cook the grains. Hmmmm. Were there faeces tests to ascertain how much of the grains aren't digested even after the cooking process? Dogs excrete a lot less volume when on a grain-free diet, which seems to imply that - they aren't digesting the grains all that well.

Diet need not be tailored and pups just eat more - just what I said earlier :lol: and I agree about the nutritional supplements for older dogs.

Commercial foods may meet a dog's nutritional requirements, but would the dog reach optimum health?

So really, apart from some tweaking, all that I would go head-to-head on is this NEED for grain starch.

Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

while I certainly advise strongly discussing diet with your pets veterinarian
I would very strongly advise not just taking a vets advice on diet though. Every vet I've used has pushed whatever brand of food it is they sell regardless of whether my dog is allergic to the ingredients or not. Drives me nuts to be honest.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Sarah, I am sorry your vet has a hearing impairment, some do. I am suggesting that if your dog has a condition such as heart disease, renal impairment, liver impairment etc. your vet can prescribe a diet that if adhered to, can add a lot of quality years to the pets life. If the owner does not realize that there is help available in diet modification, the animal and owner both lose. :D
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

josie1918 wrote:Sarah, I am sorry your vet has a hearing impairment, some do. I am suggesting that if your dog has a condition such as heart disease, renal impairment, liver impairment etc. your vet can prescribe a diet that if adhered to, can add a lot of quality years to the pets life. If the owner does not realize that there is help available in diet modification, the animal and owner both lose. :D
Oh of course. I'm just saying don't blindly trust that your vet knows best when it comes to food, do your own research too :D The one we have now hasn't pushed food on us, all the others have though.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I also experience this - all our vets so far tried to convince us that whatever dog food they sell are the absolute best. :roll:
I think it's wonderful to have a vet who would suggest a diet that is really best for the dog - not just suggesting the dog food they sell to make money.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams