Dew Claw - Update on my boy

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ladybug1802

Dew Claw - Update on my boy

Post by ladybug1802 »

Update on my boy.

So he is now in the vets.....I have had to leave him there :( Long stosry short the claw has come away from the nail bed, so every time he catches it slightly it rips away again. It was bleeding a lot when I took him in, and am so amazed he hasnt been licking it or hasnt seemed too bothered by it, even though it must be very painful for him.

So they need to heavily sedate him (not quite an anaesthetic) and remove part of the claw and cauterise it.....I think that is right....it was all a bit of a blur so am going to check it all more when I pick him up. The vet was really nice, as Dylan isnt the easiest....he was fine and all friendly until she came to examine him (I am sure it is down to how close the person has to be to do this?), at which time he was wriggling, crying, growling, trying to snap (but he had the muzzle on) and looking generally unhappy. Then as soon as she had looked at it enough but still stood next to him, he was fine....visibily relaxed. When Iout him back on the floor his tail went nicely down and relaxed and was wagging and he was fairly chilled.

She said with regard to exercise, he can still be taken for walks as he doesnt bear any weight on the dew claw, but it will need to be kept clean and dry.....she suggested maybe walking him on pavements until I said he is a very active dog....so she said she is going to try and find me an empty drip back which i could tape over the paw to stop it getting wet.

She also said that they would normally get the dog back a few days later to change bandages and check it, but she said as it would stress him out more she will tell me what to look out for, then I can check it and call them and tell them how it is. I dont think he would let them change the bandage without being sedated which is so sad....he would let me do anything! She suggested maybe I could put a sock over the paw and tape it so that it is covered to protect it from him licking it, but there is no chance of it being too tight.

So my poor boy is in doggie hospital. And for a couple of weeks he isnt going to be able to have such good walks...so will be doing lots more road walks and clicker training sessions at home instead. He was due to go to my friends (the dog walker) next Tuesday when I am at work as my parents are out all day, but am going to have to cancel that and try to work from home - or go into the office only in the morning - as he cant be messing about running round wihother dogs all day getting messy in the woods! Poor littleman!

Anyone else had experience of dew claw injuries?
***Melissa***

Re: Dew Claw - Update on my boy

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Aww, poor thing :(

At least now you know what the problem was, and that it will be fixed soon :D We can you go to pick him up?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

That must have been so sore for him.

I have the instructions on how to make dog boots from Duck tape if you would like them, you may be able to put a boot on to protect it when out. Just pm me your email address if you want it.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Oh Mattie that would be great thank you!! Will send you PM!

So I have now picked him up and he is just rather gorggy and wobbly...he is now fast asleep on his bed with his head on his cuddly moose toy! They removed most of the claw as it had come away quite a lot and was infected, although not as infected as she had thought it might be. So he is on antibiotics for 3 weeks, and on some pain/anti inflamatory medication too. It isnt actually bandaged as it has been cauterised and so wont bleed....she said if it is kept clean and dry it is better left open to the air to heal. Plus if it is bandaged the bandages need changing regularly, and she doesnt want to cause him any more stress by bringing him back in to the surgery unless absolutely necessary. So she has given me signs to look for, and asked me to call on Friday eve or Sat morning to give her an update of how it looks (he lets me look at it easily - not so easily for a vet!).

Apparantly he was really good in his kennel...they put him in a big one, but he seemed to be really chilled when in there, and coukdnt wait to get back in! It has made up my mind that I think I am definitely going to get a crate for him...he does seem to like being in a 'safe den' lik that.

Oh and she also gave me an empty drip bag which she has made into a sort of bootie for when we go for walks....but not sure how he is going to walk easily with it! Am going to keep him on the long line for a week or so so he doesnt have the opportunity to go running off after any fox scents he gets in the woods until it has healed!

So glad I have insurance though!! I had been thinking recently whether the monthly payments are worth it or whether I should just put the money aside....but if I had been doing that I wouldnt haveanywhere near enough for this rather hefty vet bill! Insurance form being filled out later on!
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I must say, your vet sounds wonderful. I had some really bad luck with vets, the vets we're with now are in another town.

I hope his paw heals quickly. Keep us updated :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I have been thinking the same thing actually Melissa....I was really impressed with this vet. He hasnt had to see a vet there really as he hasnt had any problems, but this one was great, even though he isnt good there! So my mind has been put to rest a bit that if I need to take him there again they can deal with it....and seems once he is in his kennel he is happy-ish!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

A good vet is worth their weight in gold, there are far too many bad ones who are only interested in the money. Life is so much easier if you have a good vet.

If you can get some Colloidial Silver, you can put it on his leg when he comes back from a walk, it will help keep infection away.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Ah never heard of that - thanks Mattie....will look it up!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

You can get it at Holland & Barrett, I keep it in, if the dogs cut themselves I can get it on quickly to try and prevent any infection, when Gracie bit Joe's leg it was late Friday evening, I put it on his leg, on Monday took him to the vet and they wouldn't believe it had been done on the Friday, it was clean and healing.