How much is enough/too much dog park play time?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

smokeyandme

How much is enough/too much dog park play time?

Post by smokeyandme »

My greyhound/pitbull mix loves to run. I usually get him to the dog park once a week. At home he's walked 3 times a day. After running around some at the dog park, one or more of his legs quivers, while he's standing still. My vet said it was "just muscle fatigue." When he starts flopping on his back, trying to get other dogs to play, I figure he's not interested in running much more, because that's what he does after we've been there are hour or so. He's 2 1/2.
A guy with a snippy english setter said that my dog needs more excercise.
Should I take him everyday, even if there are no other dogs? When it's just me and him, he lopes around me, and I know that's more exercise than he gets on his walks.
I prefer to go when I think other dogs will be there, but I'll go anytime, everyday, if that's what he needs.
emmabeth

Re: How much is enough/too much dog park play time?

Post by emmabeth »

It does sound like he isnt really fit enough - and a blast once a week wont get him fit.

Try going every other day, for slightly shorter periods of time - take a toy with you too and if there are no other dogs, play with that with him.

On your walks, waht do you do - can you vary the pace and duration of the walks to build up his fitness?
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
smokeyandme

Re: How much is enough/too much dog park play time?

Post by smokeyandme »

This is the first time I have had to make sure my dog gets enough exercise; or rather, knew that they need it.
Growing up, our dogs ran loose part of the the time. When leash laws arrived, I just walked them 3 times a day, sometimes taking them on longer walks in addition.
When I moved in with my husband, we had a Dalmatian who was able to go out and run in an open field on his walks. As he got older, we just walked him. Sometimes we took him to walk in a non-dog park.
Anyway, I will have to get him more exercise, and that will help me too.
When he's in the house, he just sleeps, so I thought he needed the rest.
Gee, maybe he's been bored!