Should I be worried?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ankoi

Should I be worried?

Post by ankoi »

Tami has started to skip meals recently. I used to feed him Purina Pro Plan and I switched to Taste of the Wild about a month ago. When I fed him Purina, he refused to eat sometimes and now it has become more common. In last five days he has skipped about half of his meals. I feed him twice a day. If I add something to his kibble (vegetables, canned food, egg), he eats it (except once, when he only ate carrots and left everything else). Should I be worried about this? He gets 'snacks' during the day (canned dog food, cheese, ham...) because of SA training, could it be that this has made him picky?

Maybe I'm overreacting, but this seems really weird because as a puppy he used to eat everything I put in front of him (and fast!).
Nettle

Re: Should I be worried?

Post by Nettle »

Refresh our memories - how old is he?

Is he overweight/underweight/just right?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ankoi

Post by ankoi »

He's almost 9 months old.

I'd say his just right, I can feel his ribs but can't see them. Actually now that I think about this, it may be that he has taken some weight recently. He used to be more slim, but he's still not overweight. It's really hard to tell tough..
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

If he's putting on weight but at the same time, not eating his kibble.. sounds like the snacks are creeping in :) I wouldn't say canned dog food is a snack (treat?). That could be a one of his whole meal portions. Maybe he's just getting enough (self regulating?) with his kibble x 2 a day, cheese, ham, egg, carrots and canned dog food over the course of the week. I did a check on Taste of the Wild. Looks good quality highish protein levels. It may be the kibble is just enough for him.
kendeb

Post by kendeb »

I sometimes put my dog's food inside a treat ball. Even if it is not her favorite kind, for some reason she eats it willingly if she has to push a ball around with her nose and paws to get it out :D
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Dolly will sometimes skip a meal, I don't think she has known real hunger like the other 2 so doesn't eat unless she needs it. She is always willing to have treats when they are on offer. :lol:

Try giving smaller meals, she may not be hungry.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Mattie wrote:Dolly will sometimes skip a meal, I don't think she has known real hunger like the other 2 so doesn't eat unless she needs it. She is always willing to have treats when they are on offer. :lol:
Bibi is exactly the same :lol:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Because hes getting stuffed kongs and treats, I would drop the meals down a little - and dont panic if he doesnt eat what he is given, he clearly likes it well enough.

Iwouldnt be worrying just yet - he has plenty of access to food throughout his day, hes not losing weight, hes a fit healthy weight - food is just not such a valuable resource to him.

If you can make it a more valuable resource, you may find he has more motivation to work harder on more difficult kongs and food dispensing toys!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Duffy Jones

Post by Duffy Jones »

Most dogs skip meals for two reason:

1. You are feeding too much - easy to fix - cut down the food and treats and they will be waiting for you at the bowl
2. Their stomach is upset. This one can be more difficult and the dogs usually have a history of eating grass, being gassy, on and off loose stool. if I think this is the case then I will add some fiber to the food and see if that makes a difference.

Remember, you have to find a food that works with your dog. I have had dogs who did great on T of W and others who it was too rich for their stomach. It does not mean that it a good food or a bad food, it just means it might not work in your particular dog.

To me is sounds like you might be feeding him a little much since you did not mention any other signs. Their metabolic rate changes as does ours so you might just be at time where he does not need as many calories.

good luck

duf
Duffy Jones, DVM
Peachtree Hills Animal Hospital
[email protected]
www.peachtreehillsvet.com
ankoi

Post by ankoi »

Ok, it seems that I have no need to worry. Nowadays I rarely feed him from his bowl, but hide the kibble for him so he has to find it, put it in a kong or do some obedience with him. I've also given him smaller meals and he has not skipped them for a while :)