Swollen Dew Claw

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ladybug1802

Swollen Dew Claw

Post by ladybug1802 »

I am down in Dorset this weekend at my parents place, and I had to take Dylan to the vets here on Friday as it seemed on Tursday on our walk he had managed to do something to his dew claw and the sorrounding area around the cloaw was really swollen and big. So long story short, we went to the vet (which was an interesting experience as he isnt great with the vet, and we havent had to actually see a vet since the start of this year).

But my question is, with his dew claw, she said it didnt look fractured, and is most likely he caught it and pulled it. She said it was really inflamed and she thinks there is a bit of infection in there, so she gave him some anti inflammatories (one a day for 4 days) and some antibiotics (2 a day for a week).

So he started these tablets on Friday morning, and it is now Sunday morning and it hasnt gone down at all yet. Am I being a bit impatient but thinking it should have gone down a bit by now? Or is it more likely to take a week or so (the course of antibiotics) for it to go down?
Leigha

Re: Swollen Dew Claw

Post by Leigha »

I think sometimes it depends on what type of bacteria is causing the infection and how bad the infection was in the first place. A (human) friend of mine had an infection the other week and it took her almost the whole week before she felt any better. If you're worried about it you can always call the vet and express your concern and see what he says.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Soak the paw in salt water twice a day for 5 minutes each time and over 2 days - that should help too. Also when the swelling goes down, check for a thorn.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

How is he doing?
Duffy Jones

Post by Duffy Jones »

How is he doing. I would have hoped you are seeing some response by now. If not then I would take him back to make sure they do not find something else - like a thorn. I have had a few of these not go down for a week or so. If the dog is licking on it then it will continue to be inflammed longer. It is nice when they respond right away but I usually give them 4 to 5 days before I change my plan.

duf
Duffy Jones, DVM
Peachtree Hills Animal Hospital
[email protected]
www.peachtreehillsvet.com
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Hi

He is doing OK thanks....it has definitely gone down but not down to normal size yet. It isnt sore for him when I touch it now though, and I did have a good old look around it the other day (without pulling it round too much) and couldnt see anything else. He also hasnt been licking it at all so it doesnt seem to be bothering him.

The antibiotics finish tomorrow so will see how it is on Friday and maybe go from there.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Am going to have to go to the vet again for this....it was doing OK although still not back to normal size, but have noticed today that he has caught it or something as had been bleeding. I have been soaking it in salt water, and so did it again this evening, and tried to have alook, but dont want to pull it around - all I can see is it seems to be (I think) where the claw joins the 'soft' bit (if that makes sense!). It isnt actually bothering him, and he hasnt licked it once, but it has had enough time to go down of its own accord and it isnt.

So it means we will have to have another stressful visit to the vets....shame as well as his jabs are due next month so not great for the poor lad to have so many scary vet visits (where he has to be muzzled and is just so unhappy ) in such a short space of time, but needs must!
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Aw, poor guy. Let us know what the vet said.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Thanks Melissa! Have him booked in for tomorrow morning....and feel nervous already! I HATE taking him to the vet because he hates it so much....and am worried I might have to leave him there if he needs anything done to it. Poor baby :(

Has anyone on here had to have their dogs dew claw/s removed?