Dog too skinny, help?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

NinjaSpoon

Dog too skinny, help?

Post by NinjaSpoon »

My dog Tootsie recently had 5 puppies and is doing a great job of watching them. But I'm worried about her weight. She seems very skinny, much skinnier than before the pregnancy, but any time we try to get her to eat or go outside for potty, all she does is run back to the puppies. I can get her to eat a small handful or two of food if I hold it in my hand, but she just doesn't seem to eat much. I'm afraid that she's not getting enough. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tootsie is a Chi-weenie, normally about 4 lbs (Chihuahua+Mini Dachshund) but feels about 2.5, maybe 3 lbs now. The puppies are about the length of your palm (well, my palm, 3 1/2 inches).
emmabeth

Re: Dog too skinny, help?

Post by emmabeth »

Where is she when you are offering her food? Can you offer her food in the same room as the puppies are in, offer it many times a day as well in small meals.

At this stage, she needs to be eating whatever she wants, whenever she wants it - if she wants people food, if she wants puppy food or raw meat or flippin steak... let her have that, she knows what her body needs so this is where the rules of 'not offering a dog option after option' does NOT apply. (Obviously dont give her things that are actually poisonous like chocolate!).

Try her with cooked chicken, scrambled egg, steamed white fish and if she will have those then add other things to it as you go on.

How long ago did she have her litter, and could anything else be stressing her out, such as people messing with her puppies, busy household etc etc.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I take my nursing b itches out to potty, and I feed them when they are with the puppies to start with, but within a few days I find they prefer to eat away from the nest. That's my b itches - yours of course may well be different. It IS important that she potties outside, and they mostly rush out, do what they have to and rush back. As Emms says: feed her wherever she wants to eat.

And keep all people that aren't you away from her and her bubs for now.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
NinjaSpoon

Post by NinjaSpoon »

Thanks for all the advice.

I was trying to feed her by the pups at first, but she was more focused on the puppies. Then I tried out in the kitchen, thinking that would help, but she would only eat a little if I had the food in my hand and held her in my lap on the floor. Still, it wasn't much. We've been keeping her in my moms room, because I have a 17 month old boy and we're trying to keep him away from the puppies to keep Tootsie from getting too stressed out.

As far as the potty situation, I actually found out today that she had been going in the room and then eating it, because she threw up a lot of it. It was horrible and disgusting, I felt so bad for her. Had to change out the sheet and clean the carpet. But she just refuses to go outside. Tonight, my mom let her out. After a reasonable amount of time, she barked to let her in, then proceeded to run and poop in the hall. My mom insisted we move her to the bathroom because she can't be picking up poop all night. I gotta say, I'm at a bit of a loss. I'll try feeding her some scrambled eggs in the morning and see how that goes. I'm really hoping I can figure it out, because I can actually see the bumps of her spine. I mean, this is the kind of skinny that you sometimes see people get arrested for on Animal Cops, but I'm trying really hard.

Also, she had her puppies almost a week ago. Their eyes haven't even opened yet.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You don't let her out - you take her out, walk about with her and give her every chance to potty, just as you did when housetraining her. If she doesn't perform, you take her in, count to ten (keep her on the lead) take her out again. Stay with her and watch her if she still doesn't oblige. Have a big party with treats when she does. be committed to this and it will work.

I agree you MUST keep your child away from her and the pups for a variety of reasons. Not just try to - it is imperative that you do. He is at risk of getting worms and of getting bitten. B itches have been known to kill their puppies if they think they are under threat. Pups break easily if handled roughly and young children don't know any better than to pull them around.

NinjaSpoon

Post by NinjaSpoon »

When I said "try", I did mean that we keep him out of the room. Sorry, I wasn't very clear about that.

She certainly seems to be eating now, and is more eager to go outside to potty. I tried scrambled eggs and she just gobbled them up, which I'm very happy about. I want to thank all of you for your advice. I was really getting worried for a little bit there.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Ah, brilliant news - delighted for you :D