itchy skin

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

LiviandBailey

itchy skin

Post by LiviandBailey »

Hi everyone!I have a 4 month old Jack Russell terrier named Bailey. Shes been scratching for about 2-3 days now and has what looks like a rash on most of her body including her tummy,armpits,ears,front paws and neck. The rest of her body is also a deeper pink than normal. I found two fleas on her about two days apart before she got the rash and sprayed her with Frontline. I have not seen a flea since then and all her bedding has been put in the wash (using the same detergent as always). I'm currently feeding her on Pedigree puppy food but am about to change to Royal Canin. I phoned the vet today and he prescribed me with a cream (Celestoderm) but I haven't managed to get it yet. I asked if i should take her in on Wednesday and he said no :? . Has anybody got any ideas of what i can do to calm her skin down in the mean time? I note that I am currently in Greece and cannot get to a vet until Wednesday as we only have a visiting vet who comes two times a week.
Thank you :)
runlikethewind

Re: itchy skin

Post by runlikethewind »

Hi

I know you want a specific answer to calming the skin down immediately but I look at things from a holistic point of view - looking at the everything. Well done on changing the diet. Pedigree is full of rubbish in my opinion but I'm sorry to say I understand Royal Canin is too. Can you get hold of anything more natural in Greece?

If you are into avoiding chemicals, then I would start to try natural remedies to flea control (eg Billy No Mates) who will ship to Greece. And for soothing the irritated cream, try Dermacton (who will ship abroad too) or pure aloe vera gel (but look for no added chemicals).

On the washing powder, I would say it matters not that it is what you have always used to wash her bedding in, she may have now developed a reaction to it. Again, can you try a more natural-based non perfumed or naturallay perfumedwashing powder - eg Ecover...

I've dealt with similar problems myself with my dog who has allergies - they are so so much better now that I have taken active measures across different parts of his wellbeing to improve the situaiton.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Also the Frontline SPRAY maybe giving her a reaction as I have re read you message and worked through that the rash appeared AFTER the spray. If you must use Frontline, then the spot on treatments may be better, timed properly apart. Having said that I think there are now cases of flea immunity to Frontline.
LiviandBailey

Post by LiviandBailey »

Hi

First of all thank you for your help. :)
The only other food I can get hold of here is Hills Science Plan,Techni-Cal and Pro Plan. Would you recommend any of these brands?
At first I used Advantage and it didn't cause any problem so I was thinking of using that again but I will look up the natural remedies as well. Is baby detergent OK to use??
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

She is only a little dog (we have always had terriers too) so you could feed her real fresh food at the same cost as the packaged stuff. Read through our huge thread on natural feeding and see what you think.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

You should set yourself up as an importer of better foods!! No I wouldn't really recommend any of those but yes like Nettle says take a look at the natural raw feeding thread here.