hiding his food

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meggit

hiding his food

Post by meggit »

buddy has allways (well since he started on the raw food diet) been fed on a towel in his bed hes allways been happy with this as no one is allowed to disturb him in his bed and no one touches his food while he is eating, well hes been a bit funny with his food recetly not eating breakfast (allways eats dinner though) i take his breakfast away after about 20 mins if he shows no sign of eating it. Yesterday and today hes not been keen on eating either meal straight away but today hes hiding his food he buried it under the towel and sat on it. Now my question is, is he doing this because i keep taking his food away and what should i do about this, after about 10 mins he dug it back out of the towel and ate it :?
Its very cute when he does this he takes ages to make sure none of it is showing, pushing it with his nose pulling it with his paws :D but should i leave his food alone or carry on what im doing (its all types of raw food he is not eating pork, chicken, lamb)
Nettle

Re: hiding his food

Post by Nettle »

A lot of dogs bury/hide food, but we don't necessarily like to find it later, especially MUCH later :shock: .

So when you are sure he has finished with his meal, take him somewhere else, then return alone and remove the stashed food but leave something very small and very tasty in its place. When he goes back to check his stash, there is only a morsel there that he can eat in one chomp and then nothing left to guard or get anxious about.

And you won't get a house full of bluebottles :lol:

Any idea why he isn't eating? Is his mouth comfortable?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Striker also hides food sometimes. It really is cute too watch - it has to be hided perfectly, otherwise he's not satisfied :lol: I go and take whatever he hides later (when he's elsewhere), but didn't know I should leave a little something in it's place. I will do that from now on. :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You don't have to - but IMO it's nicer for the dog :D In a multi-dog household you can't do this as another dog may find the treat and scarf it down instead.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Oh yes, that's also true
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams