kennel cough and other dogs?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Desiree

kennel cough and other dogs?

Post by Desiree »

Hello guys. I have yet another question about Zippy... He was vaccinated for kennel cough along with his other vaccines last week. On friday he started making a weird noise that sounded like a cross between a cat hacking up a hairball and a dog chocking himself pulling too hard on the leash. It only lasted a couple seconds so I didn't worry too much about it. Today however it has gotten worse. So after all the things I went thru with Darla and the trach, and the research I did on that, I was starting to freak out a bit imagining all sorts of horrible things. So I called my vet at home and she heard him coughing and thinks it may be kennel cough. I am taking him in tomorrow evening to have him checked out, but in the meantime, I have 2 other dogs and a couple cats. What do I do with them? I assume they have alread been exposed to it if he has it so perhaps trying to keep them seperated at this point doesn't matter so much??? Any suggestions or answers??? I have never had a dog with kennel cough or had to vaccinate them for it b/c they don't get boarded.
Mattie

Re: kennel cough and other dogs?

Post by Mattie »

What I do for kennel cough is to get a liquirice root and break it up into smaller pieces, put it into a jug and poora pint of boiling water over it. I leave it for 10 minutes then take the liquirice root out, leave to dry it can be used again.

Add a teaspoon or 2 of honey and mix well.

Give it to your do about every 2 to 3 hours, it will work better than any antibiotics you get from your vet, even works better than Benalin. :lol:

It works for humans as well when we have coughs, we can' put some whisky or rum in to help it down. :wink:

It does work, it helped me when I had flu a few weeks a go.

It is an old fashioned rememdy and many of them work much better than modern medicine.

Liquirice root can be bought at any health shop, I keep it in.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Kennel cough is very very contagious. Normally it is a bit like a human cold - a bit miserable at the time but not dangerous. A few dogs can get very ill from it, which is why some vets prescribe antibiotics. A dog in normal good health should get over it with no problems.

Mattie's advice is good, and bearing in mind the infectious nature (sputum coughed up on grass etc can be infectious for several days) it's a thoughtful gesture to either keep your dogs at home for the duration or else exercise them away from other dogs if you can. Liquorice works on the adrenals, so anyone with a dog that has Addison's disease, Cushings, or another adrenals-related illness would be better to use honey instead.

There is a homeopathic nosode for kennel cough which I have found extremely helpful when it is in my area and people are being inconsiderate about where they take their dogs.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Desiree

Post by Desiree »

Thanks guys! I will try the licorice thing. I will be keeping them home for a while. The other 2 seem to be fine, just Zippy. Had to reschedule the training we had set up for tomorrow and the neuter for 3 weeks from now. I am really disappointed. I totally understand it and it makes complete sense just sucks. I was looking forward to some one on one help with him. He has been the most challenging dog as far as housebreaking goes. He even pees while in the cage. Or rather on the floor outside of it :evil: I have been taking him out on a regular schedule and giving lots of praise and treats. I had been letting him sleep in the bed but he pooed on the floor last night.. My fault I know.. But I was just trying to limit his time in his cage. So tonight he will be in his cage and I will set my alarm and get up and take him out in the middle of the night. Anyway thats a whole different topic. So thanks again and I will save that recipe for myself as well!!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I would do some research on neutering Zippy before having him done Desiree, there is a lot of information on here if you do a search, there is a recent thread with a lot of information in it. Don't just listen to others, do your own research.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Desiree

Post by Desiree »

I will look at them, thanks :D I don't know if it will make a difference in his need to mark on everything or not, but I have had 2 vets tell me it needs to be done right away. I have always just done it in the past b/c it is supposed to be done. But I do remember reading about it so I will check it out again.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Is he marking or is has he just realised he can **** his leg and making the most of it.
Desiree

Post by Desiree »

He is marking. He lifts his leg even when his bladder is empty :D Both vets I have seen tell me it is marking anyway.. The behavior person I talked with is also a vet. I was doing double duty checking to see if she would be a good fit for us after what I am now calling the "incident".