food suggestions??

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Desiree

food suggestions??

Post by Desiree »

I need to find a dog food that has no corn, soy or poutry by products and pretty low fat. Does any one have any good ideas in the US? Im trying to avoid cooking because I hate to cook, but I will if I need to. Have a dog with allergies and possible history of pancreatitis and I am trying to find something with as few ingredients and additives as possible.
Thanks for any suggestions!
emmabeth

Re: food suggestions??

Post by emmabeth »

I really don't know.. have you looked at the grain free foods such as Taste of the Wild or Orijen?....

All I can suggest is you look into feeding a raw diet, because there you ARE in control of every single element of the diet and can feed very low fat ingredients. We can probably offer you some advice on this though there are some threads discussing it around if you use the search facility, as several of us on here do feed a raw diet (though not for the reasons you have).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Mercurykitty

Post by Mercurykitty »

Blue Buffalo never uses corn, soy, or unnamed by-products ("poultry", "meat", "fish"). When they do use animal meal or fat, it is properly identified ("chicken", "salmon", ect).

Wellness and Natural Balance are other good choices as well.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

how old is your dog? Is he suffering from food allergies? Do you want a low fat diet to help his/her lose weight? In short can you tell me a little bit more about this dog and your reasons for your criteria?
Desiree

Post by Desiree »

He is 8. I don't really think he needs to lose weight, but the vet said he could lose a pound or two. The bigger consideration for the fat content was possible pancreatitis. Im not sure if the vet positively identified that he had pancreatits or just thought that was what was wrong. She did some blood work and urine test and found that he DID have a bladder infection which has been treated. But then when she was looking at the different science diet foods she took him off the allergy one because it wasn't recommended for pancreatitis so she put him on the weight loss food. Losing weight I think was a secondary consideration. The food she has him on now is 10% fat min. I am trying to change his diet to grain free and a different protien source because he has been suffering from different itchy/licking conditions over the past several months and I would like to eliminate whatever is causing the itch rather than treat the allergies. Seems like a better idea than giving him meds all the time. His urine PH is still high but the bladder infection is gone. I don't know what causes that but he seems to be felling much better. Hope that helps. I have looked into a bunch of different foods, I just wanted to make sure the fat % was ok.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Hey Desiree,
Pancreatitis is very common (usually around the holidays :D ) customarily what we see is "fido" who goes along fine on his regular dog food be it Orijen or Alpo, then finds that someone left a huge pork roast or ham on the kitchen table and Oh Boy they are talking on the phone :idea: It is usually due to a sudden introduction of a lot of fat. I am venturing a guess here, due to age, and a few pounds over weight (for dogs every pound is like 5 human pounds) the concern regarding the weight issue is most likely due to the fact that weight, along with age and breed can be contributing factors to bladder infection issues.
Now, this is going to sound so simple, but you would be surprised if you knew how many owners forget this one. Are you lowering the food ammount to allow for treats? Treats can be a HUGE factor for weight gain, and other problems as well.
Diabetes, pancreatitis, dental health issues and a whole lot more.
Here is just a thought for you, as dogs age and depending upon the breed of your dog, 8 could be mature or much more mature :D sometimes they don't drink enough water, usually the activity levels drop with ageing and they just don't drink as much as they should, This does contribute to bladder infections. I don't know if you have other pets in the house or not, if not, I would use a measuring cup to fill the water bowl in the morning, then the next morning empty the bowl into the measuring cut and see exactly how much water your dog is actually drinking. Be sure to let your vet know as well.
I probably would not change diet at this time, until the bladder infection is resolved, then as others recommended taste of the wild is excellent, a lot of people have had really good results from Blue as well. :D
Desiree

Post by Desiree »

Ok ,thanks! He is some kind of terrier mix. I posted pics of both him and the new dog Zippy. He only really gets 1-2 treats a day normally. I have 3 dogs so I measure out what they should all get and split it itnto 2 bowls. He has been the same weight for the past 4 years, so I was confused why she just now said something if she thinks he is overweight. Water wise, I have a automatic waterer thing that I fill up 2x a day. I know that probably isn't ideal but I do notice when they aren't drinking as much as normal that way, then I try to narrow it down to who isn't drinking by watching.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I feed my dogs Natural Balance Potato and Duck. They also have a Sweet Potato and Salmon. Both are limited ingredients, no chicken or grains. I don't know if the fat content would match what you are looking for though.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
q.maley

Post by q.maley »

I feed my dog Wellness core and have it portioned out at SmartPakCanine.com. SmartPak has supplements and specialty foods as well. They're really affordable I think, because it saves me about ~$20 to ~$25 off what I would be spending locally, and the food stays fresh in these packs, it doesn't oxidize like a large dog food bag does and break down the vitamins and minerals that are so important.

I used to feed BlueBuffalo and I liked them a lot, but SmartPak didn't offer that as an option so I ended up with Wellness which is great too, and I've seen a huge difference in my ACD. His coat is MUCH softer, shinier, he has a lot more energy and it's helped a lot too with the bit of arthritis thats beginning to show up in his front left leg from an old herding accident.

Here are a few good websites for you to check out for foods.

http://www.proportions.com
http://www.smartpakcanine.com

Also, here are a few places that help "Grade" dog foods, so you can look through the ingredients and know how it may compare to other foods.
http://www.the-puppy-dog-place.com/dog- ... tings.html
http://www.elkcountryanimalshelter.org/ ... 0FOOD.html

Good Luck!