Fleas?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ChubbyPuppy74

Fleas?

Post by ChubbyPuppy74 »

My 3 year old female blood hound is recently scratching and biteing her coat allot. More then normal. Anyways i'm not sure if its fleas or not, her skin looks pinkish like normal and can't see any flea dirt. She is allergetic to some medications such as medicated shampoo and ear cleanser and proactive or k9 advantage. So i'm not sure what to do. Should i just try the flea shampoo? We will be taking her to the vet in a while when her ear infections start to creep up. But thats towards december. I'm just clueless :o
Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

***Melissa***

Re: Fleas?

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Hi, I think your post was missed, so I'm bumping this for you. I'm sure someone will answer soon
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Not all flea shampoo's, ear cleaners etc are created equal. If she has had reactions in the past, call you vet and ask for a recommendation for produts that most likely will not cause reactions. :D
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Hello..

My penny's worth - is why is she getting ear infections and skin infections in the first place? Using all those medicated shampoos with soap base etc will strip the skin of natural oils. Why does she need medicated shampoo?
Duffy Jones

Post by Duffy Jones »

I would agree that he might be itching just because of allergies and maybe not flea. Location/ pattern of the itching can sometimes give you an indication. Fleas they are usually chewing around the tail head and on their front forearms while airborne seasonal allergy tend to be armpits, and feet licking. I would have him checked out because you do not want him to continue to scratch and give himself hot spots.

duf
Duffy Jones, DVM
Peachtree Hills Animal Hospital
[email protected]
www.peachtreehillsvet.com