Outdoor kennel

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kralicki

Outdoor kennel

Post by kralicki »

Hi! Just wanted your opinions...
We were considering building a 6X12 foot outdoor kennel for our boys. I will never leave them outside when I go out but just to get them out of the house for a few hours so I can do housework, cook, shower, without being followed all over. I don't mind but really...I am always a parade.
As long as the weather is good do you think it is alright?
Nettle

Re: Outdoor kennel

Post by Nettle »

I think it's a brilliant idea. A kennel and a decent-sized run can be useful for so many reasons.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I also have a kennel on my porch with blankets in.

The door to the porch (and backyard) is in our living room area, so when they are there I can easily keep an eye on them. When we have guests I leave the door open for them (the dogs) to go in & out as they please, and sometimes they prefer to just a more quite place with their own space than our living room, and they will go lay in there.

They also like to lay there when we bbq.

It works well for us :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
kralicki

Post by kralicki »

Thanks. We are getting estimates now.
Did you ever hear that "chain link" fence is not safe for a kennel? If not, what is the alternative?
I have 2 big boys who are pretty motivated when there are squirrels around and I want them to be safe.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I use heavy-duty weldmesh, and you want the metal inside the wood, otherwise some dogs chew the wood. Whatever you use, it must be too small for paws and muzzles to go through.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
kralicki

Post by kralicki »

OK...so we built a 20X20 kennel for them which is attached to the house and accessed through a doggie door. They love it!!
Only problem is the mud and dirt. It did not take long for them to bury toys and tear up the grass by running and playing. It there anything safe to put down?
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Gravel is safe, drains well, and is easy to keep clean. You can also lay a small patch of turf, so they have a place to cool their paws in the heat of summer, with the rest of it gravel.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.