Does my dog need a coat to go out in rain or cold weather?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BecsA

Does my dog need a coat to go out in rain or cold weather?

Post by BecsA »

Hiya,

I was really after some advice please on whether it is necessary to get my dog a rainproof or warm coat for walks, as it is now starting to get wetter and colder. Also we tend to take short breaks up to the Lake District over the winter time, and it can be very cold / snowy at times and wonder if she would benefit from some extra warmth? I have read some conflicting views on other websites, so wanted some first hand experience / views from ither dog owners.
She is a greyhound labrador crossbreed but her coat is definitely on the labrador side, although short haired it is quite thick. When we have been caught in a quick shower before, she seems to be 'waterproof' as in all the water sits on the top of her fur.
However my concern is around being out for longer walks with more persistent rain and colder outside temperatures. She also tends to spend ages sniffing every blade of grass :) so our walks can be at quite a slow pace.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Nettle

Re: Does my dog need a coat to go out in rain or cold weather?

Post by Nettle »

No, not necessary at all - dogs have good coats of their own, and better central heating systems than we have :lol: Labradors work all day in the winter, picking-up on shooting days, rain, snow, they don't bother - and working labs are lean.

My own dogs are thin-skinned and light-coated but they never wear coats when out exercising, although the ones that sleep outside (on soft beds in a closed-in porch) get a coat on bitter nights in winter.

It's a good question, and in parts of the world where the temperature really drops the answer might be different, but down to about minus 10C they are fine. It's easy for dogs to overheat if coated.

Elderly dogs would need a coat in bitter cold or heavy rain. Otherwise a good towelling-off and a warm bed at the end of the walk will be fine.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

A lot depends on you as well as your dog, I started to put waterproof coats on my dogs that didn't need one because 6 dogs in a touring caravan wasn't very nice when wet, :lol: The dogs I have now only have a waterproof coat, cotton lined because they don't need fleece lined coats but my Greyhound, Staffy and Whippet/JRT did. Some don't need them when they are young but do when they get old, this was my oldie Gracie, she was 17.5 when she went to the Rainbow Bridge.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I used to put one on Rupe when it was really cold because otherwise he'd shiver and cower his way round on a walk. Now it doesn't seem to bother him, maybe because he's not skin and bone anymore.
BecsA

Post by BecsA »

Thanks for the info. I guess at the moment I will see what happens as it gets colder and see how she is when we're out as this this will be the first winter we have had her.
I take it, I will be able to tell if she is cold - will she shiver?
I am also quite relieved because she is very sensitive about having things put over her head or done up on her (consequence of being a rescue dog I guess) It has taken us about a month to get a harness on her without her snapping at us and I don't think she would like a coat either!