Worming & de-fleaing

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

LouiseJB

Worming & de-fleaing

Post by LouiseJB »

How often should we worm and de-flea our pup?
She had a treatment (both powder and drops on the back of the neck) two weeks ago which totally sorted out her runny poo - these were from the vet.

So, how often and what is the best treatment when buying it yourself (I'm in the UK)? Is there a dropper treatment for both worms and fleas?

Thanks
josie1918

Re: Worming & de-fleaing

Post by josie1918 »

I am here in the U.S. but I can tell you that if you keep your dog flea free, you more than likely won't have the worm issues. Fleas carry worm larvae, and when you dog chews an itchy flea bite he gets the larvae in his intestines. So that being said, I would recommend frontline, but dont know if you have access to it, it is the drops between the shoulder blades, if you get frontline plus, it destroys eggs and larvae as well. I am sure someone here from the U.K can tell you what is a good choice for you, my reason for replying was to let you know why fleas and worms go hand in hand :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

How old is the puppy and what has been done so far?

Fleas are tapeworm vectors but you still need to worm against roundworm. Pups six months and under need a frequent worming schedule, then as they get older it can be less frequent. Some treatments deal with worms and fleas. What did your vet recommend?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
LouiseJB

Post by LouiseJB »

Thanks for your replies.

Bella is almost 14 weeks old. She was wormed and de-flead on Advocate 2 weeks ago and also had granuels from the vet.
I have just found a website that sells advocate cheaper than the vet so I think I'll continue with this as it certainly seemed to do the trick last time!
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

I was reliably advised that unless you see worms or you see fleas, there is no point in dousing the system unncessarily
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

With pups, they need worming every 2 weeks from 3 weeks old to four months old, then every month until 6 months, then as directed by your vet or circumstances. I worm adults twice a year unless I see something, but it does depend on the dog's lifestyle. Natural feeding makes adult dogs more resistant, but parasites have evolved to live on animals and they can't be got rid of properly without drugs. Natural remedies will only do so much and then you need the hard stuff. This is especially important with pups as they are ALL born worm-infested and the worms keep on developing, which is why we have to worm pups so often.

What we use is very important, as some wormers can be bad for pups, so again you need to liaise with your vet.
Different countries have different parasites so what works in UK will not apply elsewhere - again you need to have a good relationship with your vet.
Over-the-counter remedies are not always man enough for the job - take care.

Fleas are easier to deal with, and you can keep chemical use to a minimum with the use of flea combs and "zappers" - but there may still be times when you need to use the hard stuff. Some wormers kill fleas also. Some fleas carry tapeworms and will give your dog worms.

Lots of information if you Search for it - some wormers are definitely safer than others, and some flea treatments are very risky indeed.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS