When to neuter?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: When to neuter?

Post by Nettle »

Duffy thank you :D we can always rely on a good well-balanced post from you that gives us more to think about - and you are quite right in what you say.

Sarah - I've had a look on those Boards too :lol: didn't think it was worth contributing!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Sarah - I've had a look on those Boards too :lol: didn't think it was worth contributing!
Yeah, I decided the same thing eventually :lol: Related to this topic, I was classed as evil on one because I had neutered my dog :shock:

I used to volunteer at a shelter and I will NEVER forget one little dog that was brought in. A scruffy little black dog, 15 years old. He had cataracts and arthritis and his owners didn't want him any more because he didn't get on with the new puppy and they'd rather keep the puppy because the puppy liked to run around and play with the children while the old dog just wanted to sleep most of the time and was boring. He was found dead in his run a few mornings later. I broke my heart over that dog and the fact I couldn't take him home with me. I had no way to keep him and Rupert seperated and Rupe would have seriously hurt him. I hope when his owners are old and infirm they're dumped amongst strangers and left to spend their last days in fear and confusion the way he did.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I was once told I was a very bad dog carer because I didn't feed my dogs BARF even though Joe had so many allergies including raw meat. :?
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Sarah 83, vet clinics can be bad places too,( how else would I have wound up with 5 dogs. :roll: ) Like you, I see many that there just aren't homes for, and the owner can "save money" cause it is cheaper to have them euthanized than it is to pay the fee at the shelters to turn your dog over to them. :evil: They don't want to be bothered by lets say putting an add in the paper, free dog. So down they go. It is very hard to take, even after 14 years. You do not want to know what my "fond wishes" are for people that have such little regard for a living creature.
Oakman

Post by Oakman »

What I've taken from this thread is that there is no one right answer for the generic question: When to neuter?

My vet's recommendation to neuter my Lab/hound mix at 8 months may have been a good one after all, ON AVERAGE. Average being a minimally informed and involved dog owner whose major concern is improved behavior and overpopulation. Perhaps desirable for small to medium sized dogs, or a large breed that gets little attention, training, or exercise.

For myself, preferring large sporting breeds, any male dogs in my future will be neutered no earlier than 18 months. My experience with large dogs over the past 50 years, both neutered and whole, have never resulted in insurmountable behavior problems. My primary concern is the proper growth and long term health of the dog. Allowing a male dog to mature seems beneficial in this regard. I also realize every situation is different.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Good posts from lots of folk here :) And I am very grateful that Duffy is happy to take the time to answer questions on here, it IS good having our very own resident vet to pick his brains from time to time... and of course all the regular users, who contrary to popular believe do NOT eat vets full time!

Oakman - think you probably werent expecting quite that reaction when you posted initially.. yes it all boils down to your experience, what you want from your dogs, what you are prepared to handle and live with.

This is always an issue where whats good for the generally anonymous majority, ie shelter/rescue dogs, may not be what is best for the known individual.. ie our pets.. and what you may recommend to one person based on their skills, abilitys and knowledge may well not be what is best for another person.

With this forum being geared to advising individuals on their specific animal... the advice is always more likely to be to train, manage, modify behaviour before whipping out reproductive organs.. but I can totally see why on a forum about rescue dogs for example, it may not be the same.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant