Urinary/Kidney Issues

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

q.maley

Urinary/Kidney Issues

Post by q.maley »

This may sound a bit odd, but I've often wondered this would love to know if anyone has experienced it personally or could give me a clinical or factual answer;

Is it possible that damage can be caused from improper spay/neuter? Perhaps to the muscles that help control bladder functions, or to the urinary tract itself?

I ask this simply because my dog has started having frequent urinary tract infections, and even when he does not have them, he still has "leaking" issues. I've asked about it prior, and have decided it's submissive urination, but I would like to just get some more information, to consider all options regardless.

Also, I've noticed his urine has strong and foul odor recently, which I attributed to urinary infections. However, I've noticed that while he urinates, it is not a steady "stream" but more of a drizzle if you will, as if it's just sort of. . . falling out. My veterinarian told me when I took him in for his first UTI, that that could be a sign of a kidney stone? Is that correct?

Would anyone be able to shed some light on this poor guy? I feel bad - I get UTI's a lot, and I know they hurt and they're terribly uncomfortable, so I want to help him out. I also can't be spending $200 at the vet each time he has a bad UTI, because we often check for stones and kidney issues. I'm a current college student, and I'm going to be finishing a BFA in the spring, and going after an MBA/MFA in the fall so money isn't exactly easy coming.

Any input would be great, thank you!

Oh, lastly, I wanted to say that water-wise I have one dish in my room for him, which holds I think half-gallon, and I fill this one multiple times a day, and then I also have a five gallon bucket that he can drink from too, which is changed out once a day.
Mattie

Re: Urinary/Kidney Issues

Post by Mattie »

Duffy is the best person to answer this because he is a vet.

I would ask for a second opinion, if you vet doesn't want to give you one then change your vet, this isn't right, something is wrong with your dog.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, I agree, I've a fair bit of experience with this and it is important to have a proper diagnosis - so you need a vet committed to finding that rather than one who dishes out antibiotics and hopes for the best.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

You should first do a urine analysis if this has not already been done. (a sample of the urine is placed on a slide and checked for bacteria, crystals etc.) You don't say how old your dog is, or what kind of dog it is. There are some breeds so prone to crystals in their urine that a complete change of diet is necessary for them. Your vet may be able to feel the stones, but most of the time we prefer an x-ray so we can see them :D Just an observation of my own, seems like every time they chlorinate the water our waiting room is full of uti patients. :D Sometimes it is a lot less costly to have them drink the filtered water. :D Leaking is not uncommon with Uti's as the poor fellow can't tell when his bladder is full. Bless his little heart. Oh and yes, damage can be caused by a poor surgery, however, if this is just now happening, I would doubt that is the cause.