Excessive scratching

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DinosaurHolly

Excessive scratching

Post by DinosaurHolly »

Our 11-month old Rhodesian Ridgeback / Boxer mix, Holly, scratches excessively - to the point of making herself bleed! We're pretty sure it's not fleas (though, it is about time for another application of K9 Advantix), but realize it could be (likely?) allergies. The question is, how to figure out what she's allergic to? Is this something that calls for a trip to the vet? She's been on Acana food for about 3 weeks now, and I've read that you should keep the same food for 6 weeks to really see how the dog handles it. So, we're hesitant to change her food just yet, unless that is a likely culprit?

We just took her down to Petsmart to have her nails trimmed, so hopefully she won't hurt herself anymore.
Wicket

Re: Excessive scratching

Post by Wicket »

Bump
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

There is a ton of reasons for excessive scratching, and two tons of ways of dealing with it, so rather than writing a small book :( I suggest you check her over very thoroughly for wildlife (mites as well as fleas) check her bedding, think if you are using a new household cleaner, if someone has sprayed chemicals in the garden etc etc and consider another vet trip.

Dorwest Herbs is based in UK but has a very good enquiry service and you may be able to get their products where you are. All their products are licensed for veterinary use.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
DinosaurHolly

Post by DinosaurHolly »

Well, we've only had her for about 5 weeks, so it's hard to pinpoint anything specific that changed - since everything changed recently. Since we've had her though, I don't think any cleaners, etc have been changed - but, some chemicals were sprayed on the lawn about 2 weeks ago. I don't recall if the scratching got worse after that or not. It seems a bit unlikely that she would still be feeling those effects such a long time afterwards tho? We'll definitely check her and her bedding for uninvited guests.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

In that case, I should wait a bit before you see the vet and let her system settle down once you have eliminated the usual suspects.

The lawn chemicals may have started an irritation, or may not, but it's always best to keep dogs and chemicals apart except for flea treatment. Some dogs react to cut grass as well.

Feed lots of green vegetables and a little fruit - it will help her body to cleanse itself.

DinosaurHolly

Post by DinosaurHolly »

Nettle wrote:In that case, I should wait a bit before you see the vet and let her system settle down once you have eliminated the usual suspects.

The lawn chemicals may have started an irritation, or may not, but it's always best to keep dogs and chemicals apart except for flea treatment. Some dogs react to cut grass as well.

Feed lots of green vegetables and a little fruit - it will help her body to cleanse itself.
Thank for the advice! Unfortunately, the grass in our entire community was sprayed with chemicals, which made it impossible to keep her off the treated grass :/
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Can you find out what it was sprayed with and why? Might help then if you can look up toxic reactions.

DinosaurHolly

Post by DinosaurHolly »

The lawn chemicals were some kind of pesticide and/or weed killer :/ Don't know specifically which kind(s) though.

We took her to the vet (new vet, and we like this one!) and the vet said it doesn't look like an allergic reaction. Holly's nails got a bit long, which caused some open sores when she scratched. The vet agrees that it's likely the healing sores are just really itchy, so she said to put some Neosporin on them to help them heal and to keep the itchiness down - and to keep her nails trimmed, of course! Guess we'll wait and see if that helps :)