Safety - Puppy & Bone

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

LouiseJB

Safety - Puppy & Bone

Post by LouiseJB »

Is it okay to leave a 12 week old (GSD cross) puppy with a fairly large chew bone (dried, roasted pork one that goes soggy once slobbered on)?
I havent done so far as I have a slight concern that it could splinter / pup could choke although this hasnt happened when we have been with her.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
runlikethewind

Re: Safety - Puppy & Bone

Post by runlikethewind »

mmm well I wouldn't personally for two reasons. 1. She's young and gnawing on a bone is new to her so I think she needs to be monitored first to see if she's steady and not too gulpy. 2. The bone is cooked. I have no idea why they still continue to sell cooked recreational bones... despite all what we now know about with regard to feeding dogs cooked bone. I feed raw uncooked bone as part of a raw food diet. I don't give my dog raw recreational bone ie a weight bearing bone - as they can crack a dog's teeth. I don't think it's worth the risk to leave a dog alone with bone. Even when I give my dog his raw food, I tend to pop over to see if he' s doing ok.

If you want to keep her occupied whilst you are out - try hiding frozen and stuffed Kongs and treats all over the house instead.

If you are doing it for teething (?), the Kongs will do the trick or a manageable, non weight bearing raw bone with some meat on (lots on this on this forum) will give her some relief. Even a cloth soaked in water and frozen will help with teething.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Yes, I agree with runlikethewind.

Raw bones are far better and healthier to give. Cooked or dry bones splinter, and usually bones you buy like this are treated with chemicals are not good for dogs.

That said, I wouldn't leave my dogs with a bone - even a raw one - as there is always some risk (although with raw it's very very low), and I'm not taking it.

Dogs, and especially puppies need to chew, so if you don't provide something to chew on, they will chew anything else. :lol: Kong are great, or raw veggies like carrots or broccoli to chew on. :wink:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
LouiseJB

Post by LouiseJB »

Thanks for that - I just needed to check!

Raw carrots - I've got to try that one!!!!

So any thick raw bone with a little meat is okaY? Thats got to be a result - my brother in law is a butcher!!!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Not a load-bearing bone - so no leg bones. Rib bones are good.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS