Can dogs "love"?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: Can dogs "love"?

Post by Nettle »

I believe we take a lot of pressure off our dogs the day we wake up and start to treat them like dogs. That does not mean we love them less: it means embracing their "otherness" as a positive, remarkable, wonderful attribute.

If they love us - I'd like to think they do, I'd like to think they can - they love us in the way dogs love, not in the ways humans love, and we need to accept that.

For sure, they give us something very special - but I think the most precious gift they have for us is taking us to the edge of the Wild, and inviting us to look in with them.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shellie

Post by Shellie »

What a great topic! Love is such a hard word to define in mere words, but we all know it when we feel it!! :D I have spent hours reading through the threads on thissite and one thing that that comes through loud and clear is how knowledable so many of you are. But the other thing I notice is how pragmatic a lot here are too. :D Now for me, I choose to believe that dogs do feel love. Hey, there is absolutely no scientific evidence to concretely dispute it, so why not? :D It makes me feel better to believe this and it does my dog no harm. THere is little enough love in the world already, why remove it as a possiblity within our own dog's hearts?

Anyway, that's just my two cents worth. I'm not trying to change anyone elses mind on this, just adding my own thoughts. I am enjoying reading how each of you feel on this subject.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

I'm not sure whether they can love in the sense that we do, but I am sure that in certain circumstances a dog can feel very very strongly about a person, above and beyond seeing them simply as a safe place. I have learned not to ask for hugs and cuddles from horus, but more and more he will seek them out, literally cuddling me simply because he seems to want the contact and to be close to me - to me that is the closest he could come to showing his "love" for me and i will appreciate that privilege as long as I live.

To me, it doesn't matter if they love me or not, the real privilege and pleasure in being around animals (in particular horses and dogs) is that a creature who could hurt me, kill me, severely damage me so easily, chooses not to - in fact chooses to allow me to put a rope around its neck or head, to touch it anywhere I want, to ride it, to ask it to do silly things, and it does so willingly and with enthusiasm. This is why I take so much pleasure in seeing Horus as a dog, not as a small human, and in understanding why he does things, because he chooses to share his world with me and allow me to change it for him for the better instead of defending himself all the time. That is more than any person has ever done for me.
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

Shellie wrote:What a great topic! Love is such a hard word to define in mere words, but we all know it when we feel it!! :D I have spent hours reading through the threads on thissite and one thing that that comes through loud and clear is how knowledable so many of you are. But the other thing I notice is how pragmatic a lot here are too. :D Now for me, I choose to believe that dogs do feel love. Hey, there is absolutely no scientific evidence to concretely dispute it, so why not? :D It makes me feel better to believe this and it does my dog no harm. THere is little enough love in the world already, why remove it as a possiblity within our own dog's hearts?

Anyway, that's just my two cents worth. I'm not trying to change anyone elses mind on this, just adding my own thoughts. I am enjoying reading how each of you feel on this subject.
Hi Shellie,

I like what you are saying. Did you read the articles that I posted onto this thread. There are some that do say that Dogs love. Sure, maybe, not the deep understanding that us humans have.

I also researched dogs and emotions and dogs the experts do say that dogs are capable of feeling emotions i.e. happiness, sadness, etc. I know that when I pet my girl, she gives me this big sigh like she is contented. She is always happy to see any of my family members including myself when I walk in the door.

So, why can't they feel love as well? Who knows, but I am like you and believe they do as well...

Thanks!

Kalo
Shellie

Post by Shellie »

Hi Kalo, yes I did read the article you posted and it was amazing. I know the pragmatics of the world will find "practical" reasons for why the dog jumped into that lake, (and that's okay, to each his own :D ) but I truly believe that dog acted out of love for that girl. I've owned many adog in my lifetime and I have witnessed acts of love from them that to this day warm my heart. So I don't need scientific proof that they do or don't feel love. I only have to look in my dogs eyes and I see the proof of it right there! :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Oh I don't think we could scientifically prove or disprove something as wayward as "love". :D

However, I do believe we should be honest with ourselves - and the reason we like to think dogs love us is to make us feel good about ourselves :wink: isn't it?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

Nettle wrote:Oh I don't think we could scientifically prove or disprove something as wayward as "love". :D

However, I do believe we should be honest with ourselves - and the reason we like to think dogs love us is to make us feel good about ourselves :wink: isn't it?
Hi Nettle,

Speaking for myself, I don't need to think my dog loves me to feel good about myself. For me it's that special bond and that special companionship that makes me know that there is something special.

It's all cool to each their own! I love to read and respect other members perspective on this subject :)

Kalo
Desiree

Post by Desiree »

I don't know technically if dogs love as humans do but I like to think they do theoretically they can. Here is my opinion, and its just my opinion, not meant to offend in anyway..
I believe when my dogs come curl up next to me when I am sad or sick, it is out of love. When they jump and wag their tails when they see me even if I have been right there, I think it is love. Perhaps it isn't the same as human love and perhaps scientifically it has been proven that dogs don't have human emotions but we believe in all manner of things science can't prove and base our lives on those beliefs. So I prefer to beieve that they can, and do, love. Heck I wish everyone thought I was as great as my dogs do :D