Do you know what happened??

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ioannemi42

Do you know what happened??

Post by ioannemi42 »

Hello, yesterday there was a situation with my dog and I don't know from what it was caused...
I have a male French Bulldog 7 months old. I have taken him long walks many times before, and during the walk, we stop for rest and i carry with me a bowl to put him water when he gets too exhausted.
Yesterday at about 3pm I had to go to my grandmother and I took him with me for company. It was quite hot outside (summer and 3pm) the truth is that I had never taken him before that time of the day for a walk. When we left home he was running, and about 200 meter. after, he started getting tires. I stopped and gave him some water and then he lied down. then he wouldn't get up, so I told him to get up and continue our walk. 10 meter later he started coughing and choking. I took him under some shadow and then he started to have spasms and he was choking and white saliva and foam was coming out of his mouth. I was so panicked i didn't know what to do , i called my friend to come with the car and pick us up, and i turned my dog over. then he was chocking again and coughing and then he returned to normal but he was heaving. and he didn't get up. I gave him some water again and at first he didn't drink it but after 5 minutes he drunk it. Until my friend arrived he was lied down, and then when he saw him he got up and he started walking. At first when he got up his one foot was shaking a little and he couldn't stand up well, but then he was ok. then when we went home, he drunk water and he went to sleep and was sleeping for some hours. After that he is normal from yesterday..
From what was this caused?? what was it? it was because of the heat and because he got exhausted? A friend of mine told me that it could be epilepsy. but from what was this caused? 3 months ago i took him to the vet to check him up and his blood and everything was fine.
What should I do in situations like that to help the dog?
Leigha

Re: Do you know what happened??

Post by Leigha »

I would take the dog to the vet and describe exactly what happened. I think epilepsy is one of those diseases that you wouldn't know your dog had until they started having seizures, so the vet probably wouldn't have been able to diagnose it. Definitely get him in to the vet though.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

It sounds like a seizure to me as I used to have a dog with epilepsy. It possibly could've been triggered by the heat or may be not. Being a bracycephallic dog frenchies must not go into the heat but I'm sure you know that. Take him to vet. You never know if a dog is epileptic until it has its first fit. You will have to take notes (such as when, duration, demeanor before & after) when and if any more episodes occur. It most likely can be managed with meds or if they are very infrequent you don't have to do anything. I didn't as my dog's fits were only 1 or 2x a yr and it totally stopped in her elder years.
GOOD LUCK!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

At 7 months old your dog should only have a maximum of 35 minutes exercise a day and that should be when it is cool not in the heat. Heat stroke can kill a dog, even in the UK were we don't get extreme heat dogs die every eat with heat stroke.

From what you say it sounds like your dog has had a siezure caused by heat stroke, this may sound very harse but if this is the case it is your fault, you should NEVER EXERCISE DOGS IN HOT WEATHER.

Your dog should have IMMEDIATELY been taken to the vet, you are very lucky you dog didn't die, get him to the vets now, he may still need treatment.

Information on heat stroke, please add more if you can.

Heat stroke takes place when a dog can no longer regulate its temperature and keep it within a safe range. Recovery from heat stroke in dogs requires a combination of home care and professional veterinary attention.

The worse the heatstroke the more recovery becomes tricky, lasting even days. Dogs will need to be hospitalized and put on fluids and medications. In cases of temperatures higher than 107 degrees, aggressive treatments are required since organ damage can occur.

Recovery in dogs may be hindered by well-meaning owners using cold water to completely soak their dog's coat. Doing so may cause the blood vessels to constrict, trapping the heat further inside. Cool rather than cold water is therefore the way to go.

Even if a dog appears to be on its way to recovery, you should still take the dog to a vet. Heat stroke may cause serious delayed complications (even up to five days after recovery), such as blood clotting disorders, kidney and liver failure, or gastrointestinal damage.

Symptoms of Heatstroke

* Vigorous panting
* Tacky or dry mucus membranes
* Lying down and unwilling (or unable) to get up
* Collapse and/or loss of consciousness

What to do if You Suspect Heat Stroke

If you have even the slightest suspicion that your dog is suffering from
heat stoke, you must take immediate action.

First, move your dog out of the heat and away from the sun right away.

Begin cooling your dog by placing cool, wet rags or washcloths on the
body - especially the foot pads and around the head.

DO NOT use ice or very cold water! Extreme cold can cause the blood
vessels to constrict, preventing the body's core from cooling and actually
causing the internal temperature to further rise. In addition, over-cooling
can cause hypothermia, introducing a host of new problems. When the
body temperature reaches 103°, stop cooling.

Offer your dog cool water, but do not force water into your dog's mouth.

Call or visit your vet right away - even if your dog seems better. Internal
damage might not be obvious to the naked eye, so an exam is necessary
(and furthertesting may be recommended).

Preventing Heat Stroke

You can prevent heat stroke from happening in the first place.
NEVER leave your dog alone in the car on a warm day,
regardless of whether the windows are open.
Avoid vigorous exercise on warm days.
Keep fresh cool water available at all times.
Certain types of dogs are more sensitive to heat

Some dogs can recover fully from heat stroke if it is caught early enough.
Others suffer permanent organ damage and require lifelong treatment.
Sadly, many dogs do not survive heat stroke. Prevention is the key to
keeping your dog safe during warmer weather.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I agree with Mattle. I think your dog got over heated and became very sick from the heat. You are very lucky he did not die. How hot is it where you live right now?
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Definitely do not exercise your dog in even warm weather for long periods, let alone hot.

Dogs do not sweat except through their pads, they can ONLY cool down by either cooling their body through contact with a cooler surface or substance (ie, in a cool paddling pool for example) or by panting. In a short nosed breed such as yours this is further hampered by his conformation so it is even more important that you do not take him for walks or let him run around in the heat.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
ioannemi42

Post by ioannemi42 »

I took him to the vet, and she said that it was nothing to worry about.. she said that he wanted to vomit and that he couldn't that's why he did all the spasms and maybe this was because of the running and the super excitement.. because many times before when he gets super excited he vomits from his enthusiasm...
I was quite scared before I go to the vet. What to do in such situations (ex. when your dog is choking) to help him..?