Weighty issues...

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

***Melissa***

Weighty issues...

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Striker used to be overweight, but I got his weight down and he's looking gooooood 8) (IMO)

Bibi isn't picking up weight though. I feed her enough (I feed her more that she can eat, so usually there's a little food left), she's wormed regularly, in general she's a healthy bouncy little dog. :lol:

It's nothing for her to skip a meal though. Some mornings or evenings she just doesn't want to eat. So I pick up her food, and then she will eat again with her next meal. It's really no big deal to her to skip a meal. She's not very food orientated.

I know that it's not such a big deal for dogs to miss a meal or so, I guess I just need to hear from clued up, independant people like you :D that I don't need to worry.

I also know that it's better for a dog to be on the skinny side, rather than the fatter side. Sometimes her ribs even show. Not show as in animals you can see are starved, but sometimes it does show a little (I think it also depends on the position her body is in).

Maybe it's because she's so different from Striker (he will eat anything & everything if given the chance) that I'm worried :?

I'll add some recent piccies - I know it's difficult to tell from pictures AND I don't have 'perfect body shots', but hopefully it will give you an idea. I'll also add some piccies of Striker - do you think he's weight is okay or should he loose more weight?

Striker = dachshund
Bibi = jack russel x dachshund
The white puppy in the piccies is the people on the game farm's puppy, so not relevant.
Bibi
Bibi
Melissa 038.jpg (30.21 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
Striker (left); Bibi (right)
Striker (left); Bibi (right)
Melissa 047.jpg (58.7 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
Striker
Striker
Melissa 048.jpg (38.54 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
***Melissa***

Re: Weighty issues...

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Striker & Bibi
Striker & Bibi
Photo0174.jpg (23.87 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
Bibi
Bibi
Melissa 069.jpg (48.67 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
Bibi
Bibi
Melissa 066.jpg (50.62 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
I tried to upload piccies where yoy can see their bodies, but I know it's not the perfect shots. Hope it can give you an idea thouhg :?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

She doesn't look underweight to me, just right. :lol:

Dolly doesn't always eat her meals, if she doesn't want them that is fine, she knows how much fuel she needs not me. My other 2 would eat her food if given the chance and would become very fat. I used to leave all my dogs with a stuffed Kong until I discovered Tilly ate all 4 of them and was putting weight on rapidly. :evil:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Thanx Mattie :D

Yes, I can't leave them with stuffed kongs or raw meaty bones either - Striker will eat both :roll:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

She is a PERFECT weight - well done you! :D

Ribs visible is not a bad thing. You can see the ribs on my dogs because they are fit. When they become very fit, they hone down like marathon runners (basically what they are) so along with the visible ribs, there are bands of hard muscle everywhere hard muscle should be. Pet dogs don't need to be that fit.

Bibi's self-control over her meals and your good care and feeding proper food have given you a dog in the pink of condition. She looks wonderful.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Thanx Nettle :D

Erm...if Bibi's fine, then Striker IS still overweight...and I was so proud :(

Lots of people tell me "Bibi's so thin" and she looks skinny to me too, but I think it's because of the mindset we grew up with - a fat (or fat-ish) dog / cow / horse / person/ whatever is healthy, and a skinny one is not. Whereas being overweight is actually not healthy at all. But I think that is where my eyes tell me "Bibi is too thin" and "Striker is just right" - because of those old wifes tales :lol:

Anyway, so I'll cut back more on Strikes' food and see if I can somewhere find the energy to up his excercise (he gets 1,5 to 2 hours a day - although I'm stuggling to keep up with my tummy gettig bigger and bigger :lol: )
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I was going to say.. she is spot on, he could lose a smidgen more (he is looking gooooooood though!!).

I hadnt realised before but Bibi looks the identical twin of a dog I fostered for a while YEARS ago.... if i can find a photo of her ill put it up (ill have to take a photo of the photo though!).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

The last raw meaty bones I bought was small-ish, so Striker gets two...last night I only gave him one. Don't know if it was my imagination, but it seemed he could tell there was 'something wrong'. To me it looked like he had this look on his face - "wtf, is this ALL I get?" :mrgreen:

I also do the 'take a photo of a photo - thing' when I want old photos on my computer :lol:

A person I know has a Jack Russell *****, and apparently their neighbours dachshund made her pregnant - although no one really knows how he got to her, as both dogs are house dogs, AND both yards were fenced, so no one knows how that happened. But they are sure it was him, bc when they got home he was in their yard. No one could find any place in the fence where he got through though :shock: So we took one of the puppies (Bibi). It's just weird though - I never imagined Bibi looking like this - I though she's gonna either look dachshundy or more jack russelly, lol. If I saw her somewhere and I didn't know what she was I never would have guessed the breeds (okay, I don't know a lot of dog breeds either :lol: ). It's just interesting to me how she 'turned out' :D