Need Help! Food Schedule!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ChubbyPuppy74

Need Help! Food Schedule!

Post by ChubbyPuppy74 »

My family is finally getting grass in our fenced back yard. I Am in charge of the dogs, so i need a food schedule to feed them on. Not really sure how fast food/water go through them. We feed our dogs free all day. So we usually just put it in a big pot and they all share. But i want them on a schedule.

They are going to the bathroom in a spot out side the backyard. And i really want to know when they may to go to the bathroom. So there for i need a schedule. All Large dogs. And i need help on feeding the right amounts.

Mia My female bloodhound. She is around 100 pounds skinny little thing. She never gains weight or looses it. I usually feed her 3 cups of food a day. But not really sure.

Cookie My Female Labrador. She is quite small around 60-70 pounds but still need to loose a few pounds. Has lost 5 pounds so far and looking great. I don't really know how much to feed just her.

Duke My Male Labrador. He is around 70-80 pounds. Has quite bad arthritis. He could gain a few pounds. He is quite skinny, but he only eats if cookie or mia is eating from the same bowl. Thats the problem with him. :o

I also am at school from 6:40 am-3:00pm. I my brother won't touch them or my sister who are attending college. So i need a food schedule that fits my schedule so they don't haved any accidents and will go when i take them to the spot.
Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Fundog

Re: Need Help! Food Schedule!

Post by Fundog »

So you go to school in the morning at 6:40? What time do you get up to get ready?

Up your bloodhound to four cups per day, two in the morning and two in the early evening/late afternoon, and see what that does. Cookie should get about two cups per day. Duke could get at least two cups, perhaps three. If the bloodhound gets chunky you can cut her back to a measured three cups per day, total. It is healthier for a dog to be just a wee bit skinny, rather than on the chunky side.

For an example, this is what I've got my dogs on:

Annie is a Springer/Retriever mix, still needs to lose a few more, but slimming down nicely. She weighed 65lbs at the last checkup, but should only weigh 50. I haven't weighed her recently, but like I said, she is looking good. Dottie is an English Setter, with a slight build. She only weighs 40 lbs, but is higher energy than Annie. Both dogs each get two cups per day-- one cup at 5:00 am and one cup at 5:00 pm.

Even if you don't get up until 6:00 am, that would be just fine for your lot, and then give them dinner at 5:00 pm. That will give them time to digest, and you to eat before your evening walk, or as the darker months approach, you would be able to walk them after school, just before dinner. If you can't feed them until 6:00 pm that's fine too.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.