Keflex reaction?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MichelleD

Keflex reaction?

Post by MichelleD »

Hi All:

I called the vet today, but she never called back -- must have been a busy day. So I'll see if any of your knowledgeable experts can answer my question! :D

I took Gordon to the vet on Saturday because I noticed his penis and groin area are raw and covered with a rash, some of it scabby. It happened pretty suddenly. I did notice a day or two before that he seemed to be licking that area a lot more than usual, and then Friday noticed the rash, and the loss of fur in those areas.

Had the vet give him a once-over and she suspects allergies. She gave him Keflex and some Omega 6. Also recommended Benadryl, but I haven't gotten it yet.

At any rate ... since starting the Keflex he seems to be slightly lethargic (at least in the house ... outside on a walk he's his usual rambunctious energetic self!). Seems very mellow, spends much of the day sleeping or dozing.

This morning my son gave him his breakfast around 7:30 am. I had to leave for a few hours, and when I got home at 10:30 his food was completely untouched and he was lying on the floor. Ten minutes later he was vomiting. I left his food dish on the floor so it would be there when/if he was ready ... he ate a little something around noon, and then a little more around 1-1:30.

I know the Keflex can cause stomach upset and vomiting ... I read that you should call the vet if that happens, which I did ... I'm wondering if I should give him another dose, or wait to hear from the vet? Any thoughts??
Wicket

Re: Keflex reaction?

Post by Wicket »

Bump
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I would phone the vet and insist on talking to him, he put him on this and he needs to know what has happened as well as give you advice. If he doesn't speak to you go down and insist on talking to him. To busy to talk to a client is not an excuse, a dog could die with that attitude. Personally if a vet did that to me I would find another vet, I am paying him to care for my dog, if he is too busy then my money goes to another vet who isn't.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Duffy Jones

Post by Duffy Jones »

Yes, Keflex (cephalexin ) can cause and upset stomach in some dogs that can start as anorexia and continue as vomiting. I tell owner to stop the meds and give me a call and usually I will change them to a different antibiotic. It happens and usually as soon as you stop giving the drug it goes away. It is a good antibiotics for skin but some dogs just cannot tolerate it.

duf
Duffy Jones, DVM
Peachtree Hills Animal Hospital
[email protected]
www.peachtreehillsvet.com
MichelleD

Post by MichelleD »

Thanks Duffy!

My vet did finally call me back -- it was almost 10 pm by then.

Sorry I haven't been back to check the thread. With my back pain for the last 2 days I've not been online much.

So ... he's back on the keflex and tolerating it a little better. No more vomiting, and he's a little more active now.

Thanks for your help Duffy, Mattie, and Wicket! :-)