Can stress cause health problems?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kralicki

Can stress cause health problems?

Post by kralicki »

One of my guys is always showing signs of stress. There have been a lot of big changes lately with more to come and I am becoming worried about him. (which I am sure just makes the situation worse!) What can I do to help reduce stress and can it cause any long term problems?
Thanks!
***Melissa***

Re: Can stress cause health problems?

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Hi

Can you provide more details please?

What signs of stress does he show? And do you care to tell us what the changes are?

The more we know the better we can help :)
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Also what are the situations that cause the stress? Seeing other dogs? Being on walks? Riding in the car? The more details the better.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Just to answer your question, yes, studies show us that canines in a constant state of stress, do suffer health issues, much the same as humans. High levels of continuous stress are linked to heart disease, stroke and cancer. Now, if you provide the details of your particular situation, I am sure some of the people here can tell you how to better manage the stress your dog is reacting to. :D
kralicki

Post by kralicki »

He was an insecure dog to begin with. The vet suggested another dog and we ended up with his littermate. We had Rocky for 4 months and Bruno came along just 5 weeks ago. Since then he is sulky, hardly wags his tail, lays around sniffing the ground, ears back, pupils dilated.
His brother is a big guy and very in your face. He will push over Rocky if he is being petted so Rocky will just go sit somewhere else. I have tried to give him extra attention but fear that may be making it worse.
My mother moved in with us, my inlaws were here for a month, spent every minute with the dogs and just left Friday, I was home all summer and now I start school again tomorrow. These are all making it worse. I have been reading a lot lately and he is even more sulky.
They have never been left for more than 2 or 3 hours and now they will be home all day 2 days a week. I have a sitter coming for 4 hours on those days but again, another change. Even the schedule. Rocky was used to eating then going for a 3 mile walk every morning by 8:00. Now I am trying to get them fed and to go potty by so I can leave by 6:00am.
The worst part is my stress level and I know he feels it. Rocky is super tuned in to anything I am feeling. Bruno is just kind of "whatever."
I have also read about littermates on this site. I understand what the articles said but I need advice for "after the fact" since returning one is not an option. The vet didn't seem to think it would be a problem. She was hoping they would be dependent on each other and not me as much.
What can I do to make things better? He is an amazing dog and his brother is a sweetie too...just different. I don't want anyone to get sick.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

just my two cents.....

There was an episode of IMOTD called The Chief of Jealousy where the dog's chronic stress was a big issue. You can watch it here if you'd like: http://videos.howstuffworks.com/animal- ... -video.htm
--dontpugme
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Oh dear, silly vet. Gave you such bad advice :? and then you have the change in working hours.

You have a series of options, none of which will suit completely.

Personally I would suggest you remove the bullying brother and rehome him. The alternative is a life of keeping them separate. Because you don't know what is going on when you are away from them, and to let one dog intimidate another is asking for at best a very sick dog and at worst - well, you have an idea I am sure. This doesn't mean your dog won't appreciate the right sort of companion, maybe an older female, but not unless and until you have the time to find exactly the right dog and integrate them carefully. Otherwise he is better off on his own.

For now, you are doing your best. I have every sympathy with the long work hours - for years I got up at 0400 to exercise my dogs before work, and it was tough. I wouldn't suggest you do that - it has to come from the heart!! but even fifteen minutes of exercise is better than nothing, if you can manage that.

Please also change to feeding after exercise, as feeding before is dangerous. Also it means your dog can be left with some stuffed kongs full of food to work at while you are away.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS