dog food?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: dog food?

Post by Nettle »

Oilive oil is fine, especially if a dog has dry skin, but only a dessertspoonful a day (teaspoon for a tiny dog) as too much has an explosive effect on the bowels :shock:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

So what else is bad? Is honey bad? Like what typical home stuff we have is bad for dogs and we should watch out for them (besides chocolate and grapes).
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Honey is okay used as a medicine but otherwise should not be fed.

As a general rule, apart from the exceptions you have already read eg grapes, any fresh meat, fresh fish without bones, canned fish in tomato sauce but never in brine (salt water) and any leafy vegetables are fine. Most fruit is fine but stones should be removed first eg peach stones. A few nuts out of the shell are fine but not salted nuts.

Avoid any processed food. You will get very good at reading ingredients on labels :lol:

josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

If you arde interested, go to aspca.org they have a complete list of dangerous foods for dogs. :D
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

So I don't have to cook the vegetables for them first before feeding right? Just throw it for them raw? And thanks everyone :D But what about milk? I've heard that normal milk is bad but something about something-free milk is fine... :?
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Forget the milk. Dogs like it but it isn't good for them (you could say the same for plenty of foods that we like too :lol: ).

***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

To answer your veggie question:

A dogs digestive system is different than ours, and can't "take out" or "use" the nutrients in whole raw veggies.

So giving a dog whole raw veggies means that a) he has something healthy (somthing that won't hurt him, etc) to chew on; and b) he's tummy gets full, although not taking up the nutrients, it won't make him fat either. Great for dogs on a diet - they get their normal food (but just a little bit), and if they are still hungry they can have a carrot / broccoli (I do this with Striker :mrgreen: )

If you want the dog to be able to "use" the nutrients in veggies, it have to be either cooked, or raw but blended. If it's just to chew on, whole raw veggies will be fine.

I feed raw, so they get veggie mix (raw, blended veggies) and raw meaty bones (chicken, red meat and even fish). And they get whole raw veggies to chew on.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Oh ok thanks everyone :D I fed them some carrots today and they acted as if they just got their favorite doggy bone or something :lol: Buddy went to one side of our yard and Sam went to the other and they kept and eye on each other as they ate it as if to protect their precious "baby" :twisted:
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

I just wanted to pass on this link. There is a ton of information here and I learned a lot about dog food ingredients!
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=questions